DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to Download Videos MA2 -> iPad?

DavidBlezard

Reactions
I have tried many ways to move the Aircraft SD videos to my iPad.
1) Physically connect the SD card to my iPad via the lighting connector. iOS bug reports iPad is full when it is not then stops the download.
2) Tried Pushing SD card videos to OneDrive but video editing software I use, Splice, does not recognize OneDrive.
3) Download wirelessly from DjiFly to iPad via the controller. Takes a long time.
4) Thinking that the USB-C connector between the controller and aircraft would speed up the download. The controller is wire connected to the iPad. Takes a long time.

Seems like I spend more time downloading versus flying and editing.

Any suggestions?

I have tried many ways to move the Aircraft SD videos to my iPad.
1) Physically connect the SD card to my iPad via the lighting connector. iOS bug reports iPad is full when it is not then stops the download.
2) Tried Pushing SD card videos to OneDrive but video editing software I use, Splice, does not recognize OneDrive.
3) Download wirelessly from DjiFly to iPad via the controller. Takes a long time.
4) Thinking that the USB-C connector between the controller and aircraft would speed up the download. The controller is wire connected to the iPad. Takes a long time.

Seems like I spend more time downloading versus flying and editing.

Any suggestions?
You need to be aware of how much free space is on your iPad before attempting to transfer more data to it.. Specially if your getting full errors, you can see this in settings-General-about..

Remember, video files, depending on resolution are very large, a few minutes of 4K video can be around 4 gigabytes and if you have a 32GB iPad, any any other amount of apps installed on it, you will not have much space for videos from your drone.

You appear to have tried most methods to transfer data, unless your wedded to downloading your work to an iPad, you'd be better off moving it via USB from the SD card to a computer for editing or viewing.

You need to be aware of how much free space is on your iPad before attempting to transfer more data to it.. Specially if your getting full errors, you can see this in settings-General-about..

Remember, video files, depending on resolution are very large, a few minutes of 4K video can be around 4 gigabytes and if you have a 32GB iPad, any any other amount of apps installed on it, you will not have much space for videos from your drone.

You appear to have tried most methods to transfer data, unless your wedded to downloading your work to an iPad, you'd be better off moving it via USB from the SD card to a computer for editing or viewing.
Thank you for your reply. The iPad full is erroneous. IPad has plenty of space yet still reports out of space. Known bug for the past several OS versions.
I used to edit on a PC with Davinci. Just did Spice easier and faster to use.
Thank you

Thank you for your reply. The iPad full is erroneous. IPad has plenty of space yet still reports out of space. Known bug for the past several OS versions.
I used to edit on a PC with Davinci. Just did Spice easier and faster to use.
Thank you
I have not heard of this issue and have transferred large files to an iPad before. there are places in the file structure of an iPad, like a computer where you may not have rights to place files there or may limit what can copy there..

If you intend to use an iPad as editing device, you maybe relegated too using slower transfer methods to insure that files are copied to the free space the device has if the space issue only crops up using certain copy methods.

Thanks for the response. I have edited on my PC with Blackmagic Davinci. Nice app. Unfortunately when I moved up to 4K with my Mavic A2 the 4K really taxed my i5 laptop. And did not want to invest in a PC upgrade. So I moved to Splice on an iPad. Very easy to use and has some great features. I’ll keep researching and trying different methods. I looked for the reference to the iOS bug. Can’t find it right now. Thanks. Happy and safe flying.

Plug the drone directly into the iPad?
You would need a data cable with USB C (drone end) and whatever the Ipad has (lightning?) on the other end.
The drone would have to be on, of course, but it will be like plugging in a storage device (actually should show 2 drives, the internal of the drone and the sd card) to the Ipad so whatever "security" measures ( Apple...ughh) that that would be required to read the storage in the drone. Faster than wireless but not as fast as using an adapter.

Thanks for the response. I have edited on my PC with Blackmagic Davinci. Nice app. Unfortunately when I moved up to 4K with my Mavic A2 the 4K really taxed my i5 laptop. And did not want to invest in a PC upgrade. So I moved to Splice on an iPad. Very easy to use and has some great features. I’ll keep researching and trying different methods. I looked for the reference to the iOS bug. Can’t find it right now. Thanks. Happy and safe flying.
Depending on the model of iPad you have, There are flash drives or Card readers for Lightning ports, or USBC ports if you have a Pro model. There are ways to copy files from those devices to your iPad using the File's app..

One way is to copy a paste a file to the destination folder on the iPad and the other is to open more than one instance of Files, which you can do now, and then drag and drop the file to the destination. Now reportedly the latter is faster then the copy and paste. The faster the media, the faster the copy, however if your moving a really large video file, expect it to take a minute or two.

Plug the drone directly into the iPad?
You would need a data cable with USB C (drone end) and whatever the Ipad has (lightning?) on the other end.
The drone would have to be on, of course, but it will be like plugging in a storage device (actually should show 2 drives, the internal of the drone and the sd card) to the Ipad so whatever "security" measures ( Apple...ughh) that that would be required to read the storage in the drone. Faster than wireless but not as fast as using an adapter.

thank you for the suggestion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike