DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to know which ND filter to use?

SecureHttp

Reactions
I saw a video of a guy that used an app and all he did was set the frame rate he was shooting at and shutter speed and the app told him the best ND filter to use.

Does anyone one know where I can find the app or if there is a similar one?Screenshot_20201229-143925__01.jpeg

I saw a video of a guy that used an app and all he did was set the frame rate he was shooting at and shutter speed and the app told him the best ND filter to use.

Does anyone one know where I can find the app or if there is a similar one?View attachment 120312
I use an ND8 filter most of the time.
If it is a super bright, cloudless day around noon, I switch to an ND16.
If it is a VERY cloudy day, or late in the day, I use an ND4.
Not very scientific, but it is simple and it works for me. :)
I think that is a shot of the PolarPRO app. They have since discontinued that app I think.

Does anyone one know where I can find the app or if there is a similar one?View attachment 120312
This is the PolarPro App startup page in my iPhone. You adjust the numbers and the app fixes the others.... they are suggestions and do not change anything in another app.

There is just basics, like the above post. I leave a ND 8 on in place of the stock UV filter (M2Z). Unless it is right at dawn or right at dusk on a cloud free day. Depending on Cloud layer (As above) your pretty safe on the golden hours with a ND 8. You may have to move ISO from 100 to 200 or play with shutter speed just a tad. Your goal is to get that good peak with your Histogram. IF your serious about getting it top notch, then plan on a battery by itself to use for poking up in the sky at shot site(s) and dialing in the camera first. Once you start taking some videos and get some fly time under your belt in various condtions you can pretty much set it up on ground and go with it for the shoot after a click here and there.

Comes with a bit of practice, no "Book" or video is going to teach you more than that for basics..you gotta get up and get a feel for what your craft/camera is capable of and what conditions are. One thing most Newbs/rookies do is set the view on down link bright so they can see it better...that is a big no-no as most assuredly your going to be over exposed. Trust the histogram and better to have the main peak a bit to the left :)

Generally an ND8 on most days. ISO 100 f 5.6 1/60 and you should be good to go. Use the histogram and you will be better able to dial in what will work best for your style of shooting.

Does anyone one know where I can find the app or if there is a similar one?
Hi, It´s simple. I use ND16 for most of the shots! If I sould shoot in a snowy and sunny landscape I would use the ND 32
cheers Paul

Hi, It´s simple. I use ND16 for most of the shots! If I sould shoot in a snowy and sunny landscape I would use the ND 32
cheers Paul
I'm having what Paul is having. E.g.: I leave my Polar Pro 16 ND filter on most days (I live in sunny Florida), and remove it for dark environments, night shots, etc. I have the set of 6 filters (8-16-32, polarizers) and never use 5 of them. The app is from Polar Pro and I have it and never us it either. I substitute my brain instead.

I'm having what Paul is having
the ND 16 and a Polar are the only filters I own for the Mini2 and that´s quite enough. I could buy them as singular filters, I didn´t want to buy a set of 5-6filters!
have a nice sunny day in Florida Dave ? Here it was very sunny today, but only 0 degrees Celsius, quite ok for me, I love cold temperatures ?
cheers Paul

the ND 16 and a Polar are the only filters I own for the Mini2 and that´s quite enough. I could buy them as singular filters, I didn´t want to buy a set of 5-6filters!
have a nice sunny day in Florida Dave ? Here it was very sunny today, but only 0 degrees Celsius, quite ok for me, I love cold temperatures ?
cheers Paul
Sorry, The name is Dale not Dave. I played 2 sets of tennis today in 70degrees (26.11 Celcius) degree weather.

• Angry
Reactions: Drgnfli
With MA2 Fly More, DJI provides 3ND filters: 16, 64, and 256. No idea when to use ND64, much less ND256.

With MA2 Fly More, DJI provides 3ND filters: 16, 64, and 256. No idea when to use ND64, much less ND256.
I don't think you will ever need the 256 in Portland. That would be for a very bright, sunny day, such as a beach or sunny desert or bright snow. As I said, my 16 stays on the M2P most of the time unless I fly at dusk or dawn.

I live in the desert. There are a few bright days where one would use a 32 but 16 works very well for most midday flight. I have a variable and I used to stress about setting but Thomas B mentioned to just change the ISO if you launch with an incorrect setting..and I've found a small change in that is not that big of deal. Thanks Thomas!

This helps, but one has to buy a bunch of ND filters. As I sayd, ( posting /) I tested it out and one filter for most purposes is ok, the ND 16
cheers Paul
I purchased this two filter variable settings from B&H Photo.tempImagevp6HHo.png

a really good filter is the freewell ND 1000

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78