DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to replace a broken Prop Lock

Johnhimm

Reactions
Mavic 2 Pro, right rear arm the prop lock is not holding the prop firmly on. Hit a tree and there is a small plastic part within that is not locking the prop in place. What is my best way & cost effective way to fix this?download.png

Mavic 2 Pro, right rear arm the prop lock is not holding the prop firmly on. Hit a tree and there is a small plastic part within that is not locking the prop in place. What is my best way & cost effective way to fix this?View attachment 138667
Did you post a picture? If yes, I can't see it.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Without the picture, I'm not 100% certain what the issue is but I think it's safe to assume that you need a replacement propeller base plate. I found one on eBay, however, they ship from China which means you might be waiting over a month for them to arrive. However, you can also purchase a Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom replacement arm that has the prop base plate, remove it, and install it on your current drone. The main difference is that you can get 4 of the base plates for about $10 but one arm is around $20-30. I guess it just depends on how long you're willing to wait. You could also contact @DDS and ask if they have any by chance, however, I searched their parts website and don't see any for the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom.

Base plates from China
Replacement arm

If the ring on top of the motor they are replaceable, have a look on ebay etc..
If it is a lug on the prop then scrap the prop.
If it is the spring that pushes the prop away from the motor then I have seen those on ebay but they may also come with the above ring.
If it is the shaft that goes through the prop then I would change the motor and that probably means changing the arm.
If it is the ring (BSauce's base plate?) do not lose any of the screws, if I remember correctly they are shouldered.
If you go for a motor or an arm and motor verify whether or not the ring and spring etc. are included, I bought a new arm and motor that was shown completer but which arrived missing the ring, the spring and the screws. The seller had, then, to send them separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Sorry BSauce855, I too disagree, I found the arm is easy to replace but I have some descent tools including a good soldering iron and found at least 1 good youtube video which helped.
The only problems I encountered were
1) the front arm has a position that makes the removal and insertion of the actual pivot easy. The position is mid way between 'open' and 'closed' positions, at the "tipping point" between those two, where, if you get the position 'just right', the arm and pivot will sit quite happily. There is a black, plastic thrust washer between the upper surface of the arm and the drone's body, this thrust washer fits around a spigot on the installed pivot, be careful not to lose this thrust washer and to replace it correctly and then check it is still correctly seated once the pivot is refitted.
2) the rear arm MUST be removed and refitted in, I think, the closed position, (if it isn't the closed position then it is the opened position) it's been a while since I replaced the rear arm, hence "I think". The reason being, there is a lug on the inner end of the arm's pivot shaft that, when the arm is in the correct position, mates with a groove in the pivot bore. Try to remove the rear arm with the arm in the wrong position and it will not come out OR you will break the lug off. The lug is a rotation stop and, when the drone is on flight etc. the arm can oscillate up & down. The lug IS NEEDED.

One other thing I would mention, DO NOT let the prying tool/s, that you use to separate the shell, penetrate too deeply into the drone's body, there are at least two ribbon cables near the 'seam' (front obstacle sensors (FOA)) and probably other components in other places. One FOA cable was damaged but the drone's nose was badly crumpled there too so I do not know if it was me or the crash that damaged the cable.

My crash had broken the lug off the rear arm and I found out about the required position after I had removed the arm. If the lug is broken off the entire rear pivot assembly needs to be checked to ensure that the lug isn't stuck somewhere where it could prevent the arm's correct range of movement. Mine was stuck, by grease at the end of its travel track.
I replaced the rear arm and repaired the pivot of the front arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Sorry BSauce855, I too disagree, I found the arm is easy to replace but I have some descent tools including a good soldering iron and found at least 1 good youtube video which helped.
The only problems I encountered were
1) the front arm has a position that makes the removal and insertion of the actual pivot easy. The position is mid way between 'open' and 'closed' positions, at the "tipping point" between those two, where, if you get the position 'just right', the arm and pivot will sit quite happily. There is a black, plastic thrust washer between the upper surface of the arm and the drone's body, it fits around a spigot on the installed pivot, be careful not to lose this thrust washer and to correctly replace it.
2) the rear arm MUST be removed and refitted in, I think, the closed position, (if it isn't the closed position then it is the opened position) it's been a while since I replaced the rear arm. The reason being, there is a lug on the inner end of the arm's pivot shaft that, when the arm is in the correct position, mates with a groove in the pivot bore. Try to remove the rear arm in the wrong position and it will not come out OR you will break the lug off. The lug is a rotation stop and, when the drone is on flight etc. the arm can oscillate up & down. The lug IS NEEDED.
My crash had broken this lug off the rear arm and I found out about the required position after I had removed the arm. If the lug is broken off the entire rear pivot assembly needs to be checked to ensure that the lug isn't stuck somewhere where it could prevent the arm's correct range of movement. Mine was stuck, by grease at the end of its travel track.
I replaced the rear arm and repaired the pivot of the front arm.
True, the replacement is easy for someone who has at least some experience in fixing things. I wouldn't advise anyone to do it if they haven't fixed anything before. Sure, you can follow a good YouTube video, and yes, you might get it right one time, but without knowing about the process, it's fairly easy to mess up.

Are you still able to fly without the prop falling off? If yes, it might not be too much of an issue, but I'd still want to replace it. From the picture, I'm seeing that yes, you'll need a replacement base plate. As I said in my second post (post #3) you essentially have two options for how to fix the issue. I'm not sure if @DDS has one, but you can contact them and ask.

Are you still able to fly without the prop falling off? If yes, it might not be too much of an issue,
I think it has broken the wall around the outside of the base away at the entry point for the prop lug, is that correct? If so and bearing in mind ".........n that is not locking the prop in place...". I would not be inclined to fly it.

I think it has broken the wall around the outside of the base away at the entry point for the prop lug, is that correct? If so and bearing in mind ".........n that is not locking the prop in place...". I would not be inclined to fly it.
He didn't say it's not locking the prop in place. He said it's "not holding the prop firmly on." Personally, I wouldn't fly it which I mentioned in my post and you failed to quote in your reply. I assumed that he had been flying it and noticed it at some point which means it's still flyable thus my suggestion that it might not be too much of an immediate issue. However, it must be replaced at some point and if I were he now would be the time.

Last edited:
Are you still able to fly without the prop falling off? If yes, it might not be too much of an issue, but I'd still want to replace it. From the picture, I'm seeing that yes, you'll need a replacement base plate. As I said in my second post (post #3) you essentially have two options for how to fix the issue. I'm not sure if @DDS has one, but you can contact them and ask.
No

And I quoted post #1.
If you're referring to when I said, "you failed to quote in your reply," I was addressing that you responded to my post (#13). Your post (#14) only included this, "Are you still able to fly without the prop falling off? If yes, it might not be too much of an issue," in the quote. However, after that, I had said, "but I'd still want to replace it." which - in my opinion - was conveniently excluded. Just my opinion, and to be honest, it's not relevant to what the creator of this thread was asking therefore, this will be my last post on this topic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikair3