DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to replace the ND filters?

randompersonx

Reactions
Hello,

Does anyone have advice on how to replace the ND filters properly?

I found this youtube video:

Unfortunately, after watching the video, I have less confidence about doing it than before watching the video -- it looks like you can easily damage the gimbal with this kind of movement by hands and I doubt I have the dexterity to grip the filter on the camera that hard to twist it that way.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like what you do with the M2P and looks harder
than it is In that video .

Reactions: Parrotoid
That video makes it look fairly difficult, hopefully that is not the case!

Its extremely easy. Just hold the back of the gimbal (pinch with thumb and middle finger and use pointer on back) and spin the metal casing in front. Easy Peasy.

I sadly got 2 ND256 filters with mine

• Sad
Reactions: DCM-PA
I did end up figuring it out ... definately not a comfortable feeling, and very difficult to do without touching the lens. I hope Polarpro includes a filter removal tool with their ND filters (I pre-ordered their Variable ND filters which are supposed to ship in June).

Taking the clear off for the first time was a little tough but after that it seems like it was easier to me. I've only changed 2 but I think maybe the factory install may have made it a little tough on the very first change.

Reactions: EricJT
I did end up figuring it out ... definately not a comfortable feeling, and very difficult to do without touching the lens. I hope Polarpro includes a filter removal tool with their ND filters (I pre-ordered their Variable ND filters which are supposed to ship in June).
Yes, on my M2P the first time I removed the clear lens, I was nervous. I couldn't get a good grip, so I put on a latex glove which kept my fingers from slipping.

Now though, I just use bare fingers as I am used to removing and installing filters.

I have moved to a variable ND filter (5 f-stops) which saves me swapping the ND lens as the light condition changes.

If u get Polarpro filters u get a nifty little gadget that simplifies removing & installing the filters. Maybe it’s sold seperately, works really well.

If u get Polarpro filters u get a nifty little gadget that simplifies removing & installing the filters. Maybe it’s sold seperately, works really well.
I ordered some filters and didn’t see a nifty little gadget to help remove filters. Can you send a link, I want one.

I don’t see it on their site but then Im pretty sure I didnt buy it, it must have been just included with M2P ND POLARIZER filters. See attached photos. Maybe just email them. I remember emailing them a suggesting adding a lanyard so it doesn’t get lost, I adapted one of my own.

Attachments

• 0A7E50FF-5FA3-49CD-B0B8-4353C06DECF1.jpeg
    0A7E50FF-5FA3-49CD-B0B8-4353C06DECF1.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 5FF05690-62E9-4D93-8111-DD81B2CE0D96.jpeg
    5FF05690-62E9-4D93-8111-DD81B2CE0D96.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 36
I couldn't get a good grip, so I put on a latex glove which kept my fingers from slipping.
That's a good idea I didn't think of that, I will do that next time myself!

Removing the stock “cover “ and putting on the filter was very easy for me. Seems like it varies a little from drone to drone, but I had no issue.

I have a MPP but it’s the same problem with whichever model of drone you have You have to restrain the GYMBLE if you are pushing, pulling or twisting filters on and off. I take no chances and just insert the gymble lock. Probably overkill but seems to work.

I used a latex glove this morning and it helped tremendously. Also they seem to be getting easier to take on and off, I think the stock one is just hard to get off the first time.

Reactions: EricJT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54