DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to stop a "run away" when Mavic Pro is in your hand?

Lose your fingers. That's the only effective way.

When you try and hold it in your hand, it's going to try to take off. That's OC thinking your hand is a obsicle.

To Doc ASMR, this thread is about stopping the motors of a Mavic Pro that, for some reason, is not behaving in accordance with the pilot's wishes and commands and has been caught by hand whilst in flight.
In those circumstances it is likely that releasing the drone would have been counter productive.

With regards to you point, a drone with active "landing protection" that has been caught whilst in flight will respond to the presence of a hand holding /catching it IF and only if, that hand is within the field of view of the sensors. So in this repect you are correct. To stop the motors in the above situation it is likely that the solution is to tip the drone sideways so that the arms are vertical.
I have used this snatch and twist approach to keep a Mavic 2 away from a dog, I HAD to land as I had used up the battery waiting for the owners to get the dog under control, they could not and my drone was about to enter a forced landing. Whilst twisting the drone I moved it behind me and against my back.

Some people, who hand catch, keep their hands out of the sensors' field of view so that they avoid the small climb before the final descent that is otherwise common in a normal hand catch.
With the likes of the Mavic Mini this means they have the drone facing them and put their hand under the nose. When I hand catch I just accept that that small climb will be part of the process.

However, and for your benefit, I wish to add that if your thinking stems from hand launching and the drone fighting you as soon as the motors are started then I am afraid you are likely to be wrong.
In those circumstances it is likely that the drone fights you because it senses your hand moving and thinks it is in flight and tries to hold position. This is not directed at the bobbing of your hands, though that would exacerbate the situation, it is just a fact of life.
If you wish to verify this, take the propellors and gimbal cover off the drone and switch the drone on, rest the drone on the open palm of your hand and rest your hand on something solid. Start the motors with the CSC command and DO NOT throttle up, the drone will, I think, sit quite happily on your hand with the motors running. Once you are satisfied that the drone is not going to speed up its motors by itself move your hand, I suspect the motors will then start to rev. To stop the motors hold your hand still and hold the throttle on the controller closed.
I sometimes use this approach to launch either the mini or the M2 from my hand i.e. I start the motors with the CSC and then move my hand until I feel the motors rev, then I slowly lower my hand and the drone 'hovers' off it. This needs care as occasionally the initial hand movement 'does-not-get-the-drone-all-the-way-into-its-"I am flying"-thinking' and it would stay sat on my hand.

Do not leave it powered up and or running and on your palm for long i.e. NOT MINUTES, it is likely that your hand blocks ventilation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada