DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hylton Castle UK

Beautiful castle! Did you need to get permission to fly over it?

I didn't need to get permission. Couple of other drone operators were there on the day, although they were flying little Racing quads around the grounds.

I didn't need to get permission. Couple of other drone operators were there on the day, although they were flying little Racing quads around the grounds.

Thanks - that's good to know. I've often been tempted to capture photos of castles but wasn't sure how English Heritage felt about this - good to know its not a problem.

According to English Heritage at least, it is a problem, without permission from them:

"The use of UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) or drones is not permitted on or over any English Heritage sites without prior approval. If use is approved by English Heritage then the following conditions will apply."

Drone Filming Guidleines | English Heritage

According to English Heritage at least, it is a problem, without permission from them:

"The use of UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) or drones is not permitted on or over any English Heritage sites without prior approval. If use is approved by English Heritage then the following conditions will apply."

Drone Filming Guidleines | English Heritage

I had a feeling it wouldn't be allowed.

If you apply in advance and pay fees it may be possible:

Filming and TV Locations | English Heritage

My guess is if Steven Spielberg said "I want to use Hylton castle for a film location" I'm sure a £50,000 fee would gain access. ( I'm guess the fees but I imagine not cheap! )

But Joe Public its just too expensive.

It'd be great if more places gave out cost effective licenses for drone flying - I'd happy pay £25 for a 1 hour flying slot over somewhere interesting.

****!! Hope i did the castle justice at least haha.

****!! Hope i did the castle justice at least haha.

Looks very professional - you must have spent a lot of time on it. Would have preferred more shots of the castle inside ( because I'm nosy! ) rather than the flag but its a well put together film.

If the police do catch up with at least you'll have lots of free time in prison for editing all your videos. On the outside its so hard to find time for editing videos....

Actually I just had a look and to be honest drones are banned from virtually everywhere - unless you have permission from the land owner - which they are not likely to give without large sums of money and lots of paperwork ( insurance, pilot licence, etc )

So basically we are all probably flying illegally unless we are good friends with a land owner with a large estate. Being good mates with Prince Charles would be a good start.

Last edited:
Looks very professional - you must have spent a lot of time on it. Would have preferred more shots of the castle inside ( because I'm nosy! ) rather than the flag but its a well put together film.

If the police do catch up with at least you'll have lots of free time in prison for editing all your videos. On the outside its so hard to find time for editing videos....

Actually I just had a look and to be honest drones are banned from virtually everywhere - unless you have permission from the land owner - which they are not likely to give without large sums of money and lots of paperwork ( insurance, pilot licence, etc )

So basically we are all probably flying illegally unless we are good friends with a land owner with a large estate. Being good mates with Prince Charles would be a good start.

haha nicely put!! making me look forward to my time there.

Didn't take me long to edit, 25 minutes flying and about 3 hours editing, all done yesterday.

P.s., there's nothing inside, it's an empty shell.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tansh