DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse Stopping Early?

AirmetTango

Reactions
I’m brand new to the Air 2S, but I’m really enjoying it compared to my previous ship from another brand. Over the past couple days, I’ve begun experimenting with the hyperlapse function with good success in waypoint mode, but circle mode has yet to be fully successful for me. Today I ran into an odd glitch that spoiled what would have been an awesome shot. I was using Hyperlapse in circle mode, shooting 4K RAW, the exposure interval was set to 2 seconds, and the length was selected for 8 seconds. The app showed that 200 pictures were scheduled to be collected, so I selected my target and hit the shutter button. Everything proceeded perfectly until after picture 44 out of 200 - the aircraft held for a few seconds, then it acted as if the shoot was done. Under the shutter button, a running percentage appeared as it processed the hyperlapse just as though all 200 pictures were taken. On inspecting the results, the app dutifully created a hyperlapse - just a couple seconds long instead of the programmed 8 seconds. And the 44 RAW shots were recorded fine…just far fewer than the expected 200. There was plenty of battery life remaining at the time - in fact, I switched to video to try and salvage what I could of the dynamic scene and flew for another 10 mins or so.

The app is the most recent version and the ship firmware fully updated as of today. With the previous version of the app/firmware, I’ve had another glitch occur twice during circle hyperlapses where the hyperlapse generated by the app is flawed - when played back, about 3 seconds into an 8 second hyperlapse one frame is displayed for about 2 or 3 seconds, then it skips the unplayed frames and finishes the last couple seconds like normal. In those two cases it was no big deal because all of the images were collected, the app just didn’t process the hyperlapse correctly - I prefer to use the saved RAW images to create my own hyperlapse anyway. With today’s glitch, I couldn’t create my own because the remaining photos were never taken (and a 2 second hyperlapse is almost useless :))

Anyway, I was just curious to see if anyone has experienced anything similar or know what may have happened?

Last edited:
Try the same mission with jpegs instead of raw. I'm thinking that 44 raw files in 1 minute 20 secs was too much data to process. I had a similar problem running a mapping mission.

Reactions: JimSteadman
Try the same mission with jpegs instead of raw. I'm thinking that 44 raw files in 1 minute 20 secs was too much data to process. I had a similar problem running a mapping mission.
Thanks, Arnold - that’s a good point. I like the extra post-processing control that I get with the RAW images before creating the hyperlapse manually, but it looks like I’ll either need to just use jpegs and post-process the auto-generated hyperlapse, or expand the interval between the shots if I want to continue using RAW…but that can lead to other issues.

Thinking back on the flight, I also wonder if the A2S didn’t lose its lock on the chosen target. I was circling one side of a bridge with its center as the lock point - not only was car traffic crossing the bridge, but also a large freighter passed under the bridge, intersecting that lock point. Maybe it’s possible the ship got confused by the changing appearance of the lock point, and the loss of lock forced a termination of the hyperlapse sequence?

Anyway, plenty of food for thought to experiment with next time. Thanks again for the good suggestion.

I don't have an Air2S, so my thinking is with my 2Pro. I see online people showing hyperlapse with 2sec interval and saving Raw files. so I could be wrong, or an alternative thought is whether you have a fast enough MicroSD card? Maybe that is the bottleneck?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE