DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse vs post-production speeding-up

winrz

Reactions
New to the board. Wondering what the major differences are between hyperlapse and say, speeding up a video in post-production. Performed a successful hyperlapse video last night moving laterally across a storm. Would it be the same if i just took a video and sped it up? I know it would be faster than an 8 minute capture, i would capture more lightning and i wouldnt have to hold the stick at the perfect speed. Havent noodled this through but i am sure the answer is obvious.

Also, I didnt see an option to set the direction laterally with hyperlapse - only forward. Is that correct?

Don't know much about the hyperlapse feature (I've got the MP1 which doesn't have it), but I really like the video. I don't think I've ever seen a aerial hyperlapse of a thunderstorm before!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots winrz

If you just speed the video up then everything including the drone’s travel will be fast.
Using hyper lapse the ground is relatively slow moving, only moving objects look fast.
I imagine it would work if the drone was stationary. ?

New to the board. Wondering what the major differences are between hyperlapse and say, speeding up a video in post-production. Performed a successful hyperlapse video last night moving laterally across a storm. Would it be the same if i just took a video and sped it up? I know it would be faster than an 8 minute capture, i would capture more lightning and i wouldnt have to hold the stick at the perfect speed. Havent noodled this through but i am sure the answer is obvious.

Also, I didnt see an option to set the direction laterally with hyperlapse - only forward. Is that correct?

Can't help you with the option to set a lateral direction as I have a mini, but want to comment on the great job you did on the the storm hyperlapse!

I don’t think you can do smth like this with normal video sped up:

Also, you can’t do long exposure, which is really beneficial for night time:

You use free and after you get it how you want it speed and direction wise you hit the C1 button i think for cruise control and it locks it there. Move stick and it cuts cruise off. If i have lots of clouds i do long ones and just change directions fast till battery is done then go up to same height and keep on. Then just throw them together
and it goes a something like this ..as Charlie D would say.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
You use free and after you get it how you want it speed and direction wise you hit the C1 button i think for cruise control and it locks it there. Move stick and it cuts cruise off. If i have lots of clouds i do long ones and just change directions fast till battery is done then go up to same height and keep on. Then just throw them together
and it goes a something like this ..as Charlie D would say.

No such button on MA2

So a Hyperlapse captures 8 minutes of footage like you said... but makes it 15 seconds long. That's 8 minutes of the cloud transforming and giving a light show. Those 8 minutes can be made in to a clip that has a much smaller file size than if you captured 8 minutes at say, 4k30 and sped it up in post.

Yes, use waypoints and fly laterally. Set up to 5 I think.

Awesome by the way! Here's mine. ?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Wondering what the major differences are between hyperlapse and say, speeding up a video in post-production.

1) you cannot do long exposure as mentioned in a response above. Taking video limits you to a shutter speed of 1/30 sec which is insufficient for night scene.

2) video images are heavily compressed so the room for editing is limited compared with RAW still image.

Changing speeds in post works but can be a little tricky. The best and easiest results come from changing frame rates in integer multiples Eg 30fps to 60, 90, 120, 150 ...

• Love
Very appreciative for the feedback! This answered my question.

The shared hyperlapse videos are amazing. Much to learn, I have.

Only a beginner but excited to learn more from this site. Ive been itching for a drone ever since I saw hobbyists attach SLR cameras to kites and manually stitch their shots together to create crude low-level panoramas years ago.

Amazed at this MA2 but cant help think of what the off-the-shelf drones will be capable of in 8 years - 1 hr battery, 12 mile range, payload capability, half the size, Osprey-like tilting props, VR goggles that read hand movements (it'll look like someone is doing Tai-Chi out in a field),...

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy