DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hyperlapse while flying backwards?

wco81

Reactions
I use the Course Lock most of the time in HL mode, so typically moving towards what the camera is capturing.

I'm wondering if you can course lock so the drone flies backwards, away from where the camera is pointed and taking pictures.

Anyone try this?

I see on Google Search people talking about reversing the HL video in post-processing with something like Adobe After Effects or some other software.

I don't have access to such software so curious if you can just capture it in the M2P this way, so the resulting video is that you're flying away from the subject.

If you reverse it in post, everything will be going backwards...cars, boats, people, etc...

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Almost every video editor can reverse video footage - you don’t need After Effects or other VFX software.

If there is any speed/velocity control at all in what you’re editing with try applying a speed of -100%.

But the aircraft itself won't let you fly in the opposite direction -- 180 degrees -- from where your camera is pointed in HL mode?

Obviously you can fly backwards while filming with manual control of the sticks.

I now the newer drones like the Air 2S and Mavic 3 have the automated video modes where one of the movements is camera flying away from the target so you have this zooming out effect but that's video, not HL.

I believe you can do Course Lock HL where you're flying about 90 degrees from where the camera is pointed, though that involves maybe moving the gimbal far over to the left and right and you risk getting shots of one of the front legs or the props in the frame.

But the aircraft itself won't let you fly in the opposite direction -- 180 degrees -- from where your camera is pointed in HL mode?

Obviously you can fly backwards while filming with manual control of the sticks.

I now the newer drones like the Air 2S and Mavic 3 have the automated video modes where one of the movements is camera flying away from the target so you have this zooming out effect but that's video, not HL.

I believe you can do Course Lock HL where you're flying about 90 degrees from where the camera is pointed, though that involves maybe moving the gimbal far over to the left and right and you risk getting shots of one of the front legs or the props in the frame.

The M2P has other modes that automate flying while letting you orient the aircraft in any other direction (so you can shoot the opposite direction of travel), but Hyperlapse isn't one of those modes. (With the possible exception of Hyperlapse FREE mode—are you sure you can't do it with that? I can't check because my rig is currently stored.)

Also, we have more freedom with the M2P in that we can use LITCHI. In their infinite wisdom. DJI decided to stop supplying SDKs for newer models (short of Enterprise level) so that there will be no LITCHI (or any 3rd party controller app) for them.

Chris

The M2P has other modes that automate flying while letting you orient the aircraft in any other direction (so you can shoot the opposite direction of travel), but Hyperlapse isn't one of those modes. (With the possible exception of Hyperlapse FREE mode—are you sure you can't do it with that? I can't check because my rig is currently stored.)

Also, we have more freedom with the M2P in that we can use LITCHI. In their infinite wisdom. DJI decided to stop supplying SDKs for newer models (short of Enterprise level) so that there will be no LITCHI (or any 3rd party controller app) for them.

Chris

The FREE mode means you have control over the gimbal and the sticks while it's shooting HL shots.

But it's impossible to fly in a slow, graduated way that results in a HL video which is smooth, not jumpy.

So this guy has a workaround, using the Course Lock mode, though I'm not sure it's exactly the same as on the M2P because I don't recognize the screens from what he showed as being the same ones in the DJI Go 4 app on iOS.

Also not sure about how if it's not set at exactly 180 degrees, the motion may not be as smooth.

But when he's setting the course lock to some target way below the current altitude of the drone, hope that doesn't mean it will fly lower if you run it long enough, since the target is at a much lower altitude.

My interest in doing the backwards HL is so that it's progressives moving towards Home, so that when it runs out of battery, it's closer to Home and I can run the HL longer than if I'm flying away from Home and have longer distance to fly back after say running the HL for 15-20 minutes.

Just from the example he set up, it looks like you have to have a lot of cloud motion to make it an interesting HL flying backwards, because you may not be able to see people or cars on the ground as you fly away from where the camera is pointed.

Reactions: BurntFloridian
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS