DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I coudn't self unlock in my ipad just my phone

Weazel

Reactions
I have flown my DJI Mavic Air 2 for a long time and have done the self unlock in the app several times. I recently got an iPad mini 6 and tried to do
the self unlock and the app wouldn't do it. I switched to my phone and got the 6 digit number you needed to input and it worked. Then I went back
to my ipad. I am not sure why. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Does it have anything to do with me being loggin in the app on
my phone too? Thanks.

I have flown my DJI Mavic Air 2 for a long time and have done the self unlock in the app several times. I recently got an iPad mini 6 and tried to do
the self unlock and the app wouldn't do it. I switched to my phone and got the 6 digit number you needed to input and it worked. Then I went back
to my ipad. I am not sure why. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Does it have anything to do with me being loggin in the app on
my phone too? Thanks.
Need network access? No cell/mobile access on the iPad?

Reactions: Weazel
Self unlock requires network connectivity. Hot Spot your phone.

While the above advice should be considered good, I have never found unlocking in the field reliable- ever. I always make it a point to check out an area to see if there are any geofenced zones and just request unlocking from my home computer. Even then getting successful unlocking is a crap shoot. sometimes getting unlocked, sometimes not and sometimes noe the distance/height that I had been approved for.

Again, I will state my position and hope that one day DJI will figure out the simplicity of it: (At least in the US) Unlock everything for Part 107 pilots. they know the rules. DJI has little pop-ups for all sorts of trivial things it makes you agree to. Why not this too, just making you agree to take full responsibility for your flying...which we have to do anyway. I really detest and object to big brother trying to protect me from myself. And yeah, there are newbies out there who need to be kept out of trouble. But the exception would be so easy. Send in your Part 107 license info with an applicattion for global (nation) unlock and be done with it! Too easy.

While the above advice should be considered good, I have never found unlocking in the field reliable- ever. I always make it a point to check out an area to see if there are any geofenced zones and just request unlocking from my home computer. Even then getting successful unlocking is a crap shoot. sometimes getting unlocked, sometimes not and sometimes noe the distance/height that I had been approved for.

Again, I will state my position and hope that one day DJI will figure out the simplicity of it: (At least in the US) Unlock everything for Part 107 pilots. they know the rules. DJI has little pop-ups for all sorts of trivial things it makes you agree to. Why not this too, just making you agree to take full responsibility for your flying...which we have to do anyway. I really detest and object to big brother trying to protect me from myself. And yeah, there are newbies out there who need to be kept out of trouble. But the exception would be so easy. Send in your Part 107 license info with an applicattion for global (nation) unlock and be done with it! Too easy.
Part of the issue is the politics in D.C. these days. And no, this isn't going to be a political post...

After talking with a friend who was a high ranking DJI employee (IFKYK), the reason GEO Fencing doesn't mirror the UASFMs, and DJI doesn't offer LAANC (even though they were one of the first round approved LAANC suppliers), is because the U.S. decided it won't allow DJI to have access to the data necessary to do all of that.

It's more fallout from the anti-China crowd in D.C. And it's on both sides, hence my "not a political post" comment.

Talk to your Congress Critters and convince them of the idiocy of this push.

Self locking beforehand was the only feasible way for me to do it, and it did work. Haven't tried in the field, but I also haven't used it much.

Self unlock requires network connectivity. Hot Spot your phone.
I have cell service on my phone. I always did it beforehand with my Spark. I was able to do it on the spot for awhile. I guess I will do it beforehad just to be sure. This was just odd. Lesson learned lol

Self locking beforehand was the only feasible way for me to do it, and it did work. Haven't tried in the field, but I also haven't used it much
I didn't know I could do it on the spot when I got my Mavic Air 2 till I was in a spot I happened to be passing and stopped real quick. I did it then and there. I guess next time I will do this ahead of time. It's just odd because that's the first time it happened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405