DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I want to code a drone

Kamsi

Reactions
So basically, i'm trying to code an app. This app will track the users location and the location that they want to send the drone to. this app will then send the info to another app, this app will process the info and give it to the drone to complete. are there any apps that can code drones like this.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Litchi

Reactions: sarahb
With litchi you can design a mission with all kinds of options and save it so you can fly it whenever you want. Litchi doesn't work on all DJI models, but most of them. They list the compatible models on their website, make sure you check it before downloading the app. There's other apps out there for this as well but the only one I'm familiar with is litchi.

So basically, i'm trying to code an app. This app will track the users location and the location that they want to send the drone to. this app will then send the info to another app, this app will process the info and give it to the drone to complete. are there any apps that can code drones like this.
Welcome to the site!

The answer to your question really depends on the type of drone are you using because DJI stopped releasing SDKs for the newer models and programs like Litchi cannot work with them.

If you do not have a drone yet perhaps get one that is compatible with Ardupilot. Those have open source controllers users can modify and there’s a great community resources site for it:

For what reason? Curious. Plus would help a bunch.
Are you wanting to give the Drone a coordinate to go too? If so.. The GPS we get to use has to many problems to make that accurate at all. It would only get you to within 20 ft on a very good day.
Hows your Python?

I see a benefit to what OP wants to do as I have wished my Mavic 2 Pro could set the emergency return to home to the controller’s updated positions instead of the in situ one while filming a driving or boating scene where the passenger is in the vehicle being filmed controlling the drone.

Being that it can only either be set to return to home or return to the controllers position when the takeoff occurred is not convenient if you have already driven a couple miles away from the takeoff point with the drone following you and it decides that there’s not enough power to go back to home. Having it land or hover near the controller would be better. We tried filming driving through the desert once with my buddy passenger in controls as he filmed the car and he started fighting with the drone because it wanted to leave as we had arrived to the point of a safe flight return for the drone to fly back to it’s “home” point. we thought having it “set to controller” meant it would follow, but didn’t know that’s not how it works. It was pretty funny after we figured out what was happening.

Having this feature would also allow one to safely fly a drone that was following a boat, instead of it going back and landing in the ocean somewhere you used to be.

OP- if you ever figure this out for a Mavic, I’ll buy it.

Last edited:
I see a benefit to what OP wants to do as I have wished my Mavic 2 Pro could set the emergency return to home to the controller’s updated positions instead of the in situ one while filming a driving or boating scene where the passenger is in the vehicle being filmed controlling the drone.

Being that it can only either be set to return to home or return to the controllers position when the takeoff occurred is not convenient if you have already driven a couple miles away from the takeoff point with the drone following you and it decides that there’s not enough power to go back to home. Having it land or hover near the controller would be better. We tried filming driving through the desert once with my buddy passenger in controls as he filmed the car and he started fighting with the drone because it wanted to leave as we had arrived to the point of a safe flight return for the drone to fly back to it’s “home” point. we thought having it “set to controller” meant it would follow, but didn’t know that’s not how it works. It was pretty funny after we figured out what was happening.

Having this feature would also allow one to safely fly a drone that was following a boat, instead of it going back and landing in the ocean somewhere.

OP- if you ever figure this out for a Mavic, I’ll buy it.
When the controllers location changes significantly, my mavic 2 requests if it should go back to the original location or to controllers new location

Reactions: AMann
How are you going to process obstructions and changes in ground height along the route?

When the controllers location changes significantly, my mavic 2 requests if it should go back to the original location or to controllers new location
My buddy must’ve missed this- if it’s just a subtle message and voice while the person flying it is watching the drone and riding off-road I can see how this happened. The problem is that you’d have to keep resetting it as you move along from the last position. I wish it would do that real-time and just by a single setting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr0nk3rt