DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you find a Drone/UAS what to do to help "reunite" it to the owner (USA specific)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
If you happen upon a Drone/UAS what should you do?

• A) Keep in mind that this is someone's personal property so don't trash it even if it's in "bad/rough" shape.
  • B) Take pictures of the aircraft as it is BEFORE you touch/move it.
  • C) Carefully examine the aircraft for external markings that note who the owner is. If noted, contact them directly.
  • D) If no external markings of ownership you should turn the aircraft over to your local Law Enforcement Agency. From there they will contact an FAA Representative who "might" be able to reunite the aircraft and owner via Registration #..
  • E) If you do decide to try to try and locate the owner through local sources just point any "interested parties" to go to the local Law Enforcement to claim their UAS.

I would like to add that if a DJI product, they have been quite positive here lately to reunite the unit with the owner, so not sure at what point one would want to go that avenue. Perhaps send info of aircraft to DJI letting them know that local authorities now have aircraft? As posted there are alot of "mights" with authorities, but I would have better peace of mind knowing that the interested parties would more probable be contacted and take it from there. YMMV :)

Reactions: BigAl07

• A) Keep in mind that this is someone's personal property so don't trash it even if it's in "bad/rough" shape.
  • C) Carefully examine the aircraft for external markings that note who the owner is. If noted, contact them directly.
  • D) If no external markings of ownership you should turn the aircraft over to your local Law Enforcement Agency. From there they will contact an FAA Representative who "might" be able to reunite the aircraft and owner via Registration #..
  • E) If you do decide to try to try and locate the owner through local sources just point any "interested parties" to go to the local Law Enforcement to claim their UAS.
Meanwhile:

Meanwhile:
I'm not following how that video is even remotely related to the topic???? Also it's from 2014 and totally bogus stating the " One of the motors malfunctioned shortly after take off and the pilot had no control". I'm hitting the BS button on that one :)

I'm not following how that video is even remotely related to the topic???? Also it's from 2014 and totally bogus stating the " One of the motors malfunctioned shortly after take off and the pilot had no control". I'm hitting the BS button on that one :)
It is an example of what NOT to do when you find a drone.

Reactions: DirkPitt

I think that is sound advice that should pertain more or less to any country.

Reactions: BigAl07
My MP2 was stolen from my vehicle. I reached out to DJI requesting it be deactivated or at least provide me with a location. The general response was if someone sends it in for repair they promise they wont fix it...
Gee, thanks.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000