DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm thinking I would like an iPad to run a Mavic what are the minimal requirements?

Wade Gizzy

Reactions
I also see a "shade" for tablets, what size tablet should in order to use the shade?

Is the data on the controller easily visible when using the mounted pad?

Several discussions regarding the iPad. Mini4 works fine in my opinion.
New 9.7 may have a better processor? Shade screen not for me. I just use a big hat when I know sun will be an issue.

Reactions: Inspirephil
I also see a "shade" for tablets, what size tablet should in order to use the shade?

What 'data on the controller'? I have been flying my Air with an iphone 6 but I just gave it to my granddaughter so I had to get the 2018 ipad 9.7 and also ordered the Mavmount. Black MavMount 3.0 DJI Mavic 2, Mavic Zoom, Mavic Pro, Mavic AIR, and Spark iPad Tablet adapter system | Mavmount brand DJI Mavic 2, DJI Mavic Pro, Spark and AIR iPad Tablet Adapter

Best buy has Ipad mini 4 on sale for the black friday event for $249. My local store still has several of each color.

What 'data on the controller'? I have been flying my Air with an iphone 6 but I just gave it to my granddaughter so I had to get the 2018 ipad 9.7 and also ordered the Mavmount. Black MavMount 3.0 DJI Mavic 2, Mavic Zoom, Mavic Pro, Mavic AIR, and Spark iPad Tablet adapter system | Mavmount brand DJI Mavic 2, DJI Mavic Pro, Spark and AIR iPad Tablet Adapter
Some people either like or seem to think there is a need to be able to see the rc screen. I haven’t found the need other than to see battery strength.

You don't buy a tablet to fit your shade, you buy a shade that fits whichever tablet you're using.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Whatever tablet model you decide to use, do not get the minimum needed. It will work now but may not handle future requirements.

Reactions: WAXMAN

get iPad with wifi+cellular so you have GPS, in case you move around like on a boat.

I am using an IPad Air. I don’t use a shade but do have a holder for the iPad as it’s too large to fit into the Jaws of the e remote controller of the Mavic Air. I have not so far felt the need to add a shade.

New 9.7 may have a better processor? Shade screen not for me. I just use a big hat when I know sun will be an issue.
I agree with you about sunshades! They just get in the way whenever I need to use the touchscreen. Actually I cut a cereal box up and I use it for a sunshade and it allows me to use the touchscreen without getting in the way if I ever need one.

get iPad with wifi+cellular so you have GPS, in case you move around like on a boat.
Or get the GPS remote module and it tracks your movements whether in a car or a boat or any moving vehicles. Also allows you to use Dynamic Home Point which is a great way to keep your drone connected with your remote flawlessly. And it’s a cheaper way to get GPS tracking.

Reactions: Niblett
I just spent an inordinate amount of time on this topic.

A1550 is the model number for the iPad mini4 with GPS. It works fine on the Mavic2 EXCEPT when you run a screen recorder during a flight. You get the endless "mobile/cpu" errors and jittery video. After a lot of research, the iPad Air2 with GPS model A1567 is the oldest / lowest performance iPad that works ok in all situations on the Mavic2. I found a used one and verified this.

1543163225658.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob@max