DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU error caused fatal crash

Megalodon5

Reactions
My brand-new DJI Mini 3 was flying back from a quick flight out over the ocean (set to land on an empty beach). I set it to land automatically from 120m up, which normally works fine. At 67m though, I received an error message (IMU Altitude Error), and the drone fell out of the sky.
Battery was at 80%, had full signal and was connected to 29 satellites. Weather was perfect with 4kts of wind and sunny.

What could have caused this to happen?

My brand-new DJI Mini 3 was flying back from a quick flight out over the ocean (set to land on an empty beach). I set it to land automatically from 120m up, which normally works fine. At 67m though, I received an error message (IMU Altitude Error), and the drone fell out of the sky.
Battery was at 80%, had full signal and was connected to 29 satellites. Weather was perfect with 4kts of wind and sunny.

Did you post the correct log?
I see no flight over the North Sea, instead the flight appears to be a more or less vertical climb to and descent from 1016ft / 310m, the maximum distance being 23.7ft, at the end of the log.
Are the heights in the log reported correctly? If so, are you aware that the legal height limit there would be 400ft?
Your max height was set to 1640ft / 500m, RTH height was set to 328ft / 100m.
What do you mean by "I set it to land automatically from 120m up"?

The flight ends with the battery at 88% and the drone at 67m.
I see no message about an IMU altitude error but there is a warning about height and local regulations at 71.6 seconds.

Was the battery in the drone if and when you found the drone? What state are / were the battery clips in?
Was the failsafe response set to "Hover " in a previous flight?

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehomer
It sounds like the problem was an IMU Altitude Error.
If the flight data was present we might be able to tell a little more.

It sounds like the problem was an IMU Altitude Error.
If the flight data was present we might be able to tell a little more.
The log was originally posted in a post that was #2 but that post has been deleted. However this is the original link

Last edited:

Some Crazy Stuff
Check this out Hope it's a easy fix. :cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada