DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Increasing accuracy of RTH

rscheff

Reactions
Is there some way of increasing the accuracy of the landing spot on RTH? I have calibrated the IMU but I am still 5 to 10 feet away from my launch point.

are you initiating the RTH when its at least 50ft or more from home, depends on the drone as well, on mine MP2 I wait for more than 10 sats locked before taking off, then go directly up until at ceiling height i.e. 250ft wait for about 10-20 seconds then begin flying as normal, as long as there is good visibity/lighting, my MP2 comes back to the drone circular orange launchpad with H in middle and usually lands to within a few inches of take off point.

Is there some way of increasing the accuracy of the landing spot on RTH? I have calibrated the IMU but I am still 5 to 10 feet away from my launch point.
As the Mini 1 doesn't have a precision landing feature you're mainly in the mercy of available civil GPS accuracy ... which is 10-33ft radius. You can't expect a better accuracy than what you have now ... & a IMU calibration will not change anything regarding this.

have to concur with @slup the Mini 1 does not have the precision RTH feature that other Mavics have, i have learnt with mine that its best when doing a RTH, to cancel it about 20ft above the ground and manually land it on the landing pad

Why depend on RTH to land in normal conditions? Fly the drone and experience how it reacts.

To me - RTH is a failsafe should you lose signal or other conditions happen during flight. As many people have learned on this forum - RTH does not ensure a non-crash free flight home. Many variables can and do cause some crashes using RTH if your settings are off.

Others have covered very well aspects of RTH with the Mini. Also depending on area you fly from - your RTH may not be the location from where you take off from - due to GPS signal capture / etc. If you get a "homepoint / RTH" message sitting on ground prior to take-off- more likely for drone to return there, but not 100% guarantee - esp if you lose GPS during flight.

Reactions: MS Coast
are you initiating the RTH when its at least 50ft or more from home, depends on the drone as well, on mine MP2 I wait for more than 10 sats locked before taking off, then go directly up until at ceiling height i.e. 250ft wait for about 10-20 seconds then begin flying as normal, as long as there is good visibity/lighting, my MP2 comes back to the drone circular orange launchpad with H in middle and usually lands to within a few inches of take off point.
i'm impressed

Reactions: old man mavic
....ng off, then go directly up until at ceiling height i.e. 250ft wait for about 10-20 sec......
The minimum vertical climb at take off that the M2P meeds to enable the precision landing is 7m.
250ft might be excessive unless the rest of the flight needs it.

rscheff as with the others, if I use RTH to bring the mini 'home' I rarely let it land automatically and cancel the RTH once the mini is overhead.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archanut