DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Input on video quality: filters, shutter, etc.

thebigbaddan

Reactions
I'd like to get some input on this video:

What should I adjust to get better video quality? (This is Mavic Air footage...)

I'm using an ND32 filter. Should I ditch the filter and just use the stock lens and auto settings, since I don't know what I'm doing? I thought the filter would really help with a bright environment like this with light reflecting off the snow.

I'd like to get some input on this video:

What should I adjust to get better video quality? (This is Mavic Air footage...)

I'm using an ND32 filter. Should I ditch the filter and just use the stock lens and auto settings, since I don't know what I'm doing? I thought the filter would really help with a bright environment like this with light reflecting off the snow.

Being a beginner myself, and after watching tons of youtube videos, this is what I have found;
The ND filters (described as being sunglasses for your lens), helps with the brightness, so you can bring your shutter speed down.
This should be about double your frame rate. So if your shooting 1080p at 30fps, your shutter speed should be 1/60. For 24 or 25fps it should be about 1/50.
If you are shooting towards the sun, like in some of your shots in the video, you could invest in ND filters that also come with a polariser or /PL (E.g. ND32/PL), this should reduce the sun glare.
I got the PGYTECH ones from amazon, about £58. A 4 Pack, ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL and ND32/PL.

Now as for camera setting....
If you are not familiar with post editing software, do not listen to every single youtube video that says "Shoot in D-Cinelike", I've not liked 99% of my video I have shot like that.
This weekend, I shot in "Normal" colour mode, and the video came out great.
I recommend using manual settings, as auto settings can change your settings as it is recording, and your recording may not be consistent.
Here are my camera settings I used this weekend.
ISO 100.
1/60 30fps 2.7k
Style - None
Colour - Normal
White Balance - Sunny.

Most youtubers recommend keeping the ISO on 100 or as close as you can get it, as the higher the number the noisier the image.
Style is up to you, depending on what you are filming, there are a couple of presets, but you'll probably be ok with None.
White Balance is best to set on the kind of day it is, e.g. like your video it was sunny. But this can be changed to cloudy, none, custom, etc.

If you want to check out some of my videos, you should be able to find me here;
Drone Munky

Or search 'Drone Munky' on YouTube.

Hope this helps, and you can get video you love.

Yeah, shooting manual mode and with an ND filter in snow (and most other occasions) is a must as far as I'm concerned. AUTO can just alter the exposure too much for me making a less pleasing video...

Your video was in super bright conditions, I don't think there's much more you could have done. It looked realistic, which is the goal.

Just to add, the primary use for ND filters is to compensate against high shutter speeds to enable a more natural motion blur within shots and therefore be able to achieve the "shutter speed = 2x framerate" rule. This is mostly useful when capturing close subjects or moving the drone close to the ground without having the footage becoming jittery. (fast movement without any motionblur is eye straining, hence why some amount of blur is favorable)
In footage without much motion in it (high in the sky, slow movements, very slow panning etc.) ND filters aren't required since there wouldn't be any motion blur to witness anyway. The only exception to this would be if the highest shutterspeed still delivers an overexposed image such as when filming against direct sunlight. Otherwise you are easier off just selecting the highest shutter speed to fit the proper exposure.

Last edited:
Did you happen to use Manual exposure? Or was it left in Auto exposure? If left in auto exp then it still can become overexposed.due to the extreme brightness of that scenery.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga