DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insuring Mavic Pro on top of DJI Refresh?

If you make a claim on your State Farm claim, you are almost guaranteed to kiss that coverage goodbye. Just something to keep in mind.

Refresh is only good for a year and SF as long as you keep paying. If you make a claim on the 2,3,4th year, and they cancel, you’re still ahead and have a completely new replacement still. I still think for the money, SF is a better deal, even if/when they cancel the drone policy. I have it on three drones.

Everyone is talking about State Farm. Did I miss something somewhere that State Farm is the way to go if you want coverage for your drone??

I don't have State Farm for anything and I assumed that folks were leveraging their own insurance that they currently use? Am I hearing that folks are purchasing State Farm on top of their current i.e. home insurance, just for the drone?

Also I'm curious to hear whether anyone have used their insurance (whatever it is) for replacement and what not? What was your experience?

I'm still trying to play it through my head.

If you have State Farm insurance they will replace it at full replacement value. All you need to do is show them the receipt and serial number and take pics of it. Some State Farm agents do not require you to have any other vehicle or homeowners insurance with them. Some do. I have never had to make a claim knock on wood.

I went in to just insure the drone only. I called in advance to make sure they did. After I paid for my Personal articles policy, I asked them if they could quote some of my vehicles since I was there already. ( they never asked). I found that they were way cheaper than my present insurance of 29 yrs [emoji15].
So YES, you can insure just your Drone.

Okay so why is everyone using State Farms and have anybody look at other insurance that may be better?

I'm surprised that I'm not hearing any other insurance that's available for anybody aside from State Farms.

Reactions: Cowboys2023
Okay so why is everyone using State Farms and have anybody look at other insurance that may be better?

I'm surprised that I'm not hearing any other insurance that's available for anybody aside from State Farms.
A lot of other companies do not ensure Drons. Not to mention State Farm is very reputable.

Reactions: Former Member
Everyone is talking about State Farm. Did I miss something somewhere that State Farm is the way to go if you want coverage for your drone??

I don't have State Farm for anything and I assumed that folks were leveraging their own insurance that they currently use? Am I hearing that folks are purchasing State Farm on top of their current i.e. home insurance, just for the drone?

Also I'm curious to hear whether anyone have used their insurance (whatever it is) for replacement and what not? What was your experience?

Lots of threads on here talking about it do a search and you’ll find plenty.

We have home and auto through Allstate in Chicago, with a $500 deductible. I could add the drone to that, but with the deductible it wouldn't be worth it; I could change the deductible to $100 but it would increase my premium by $102/year. Also home & auto is pretty big coverage, and to make a claim for ~$1000 for a drone would be of questionable value.

I have a Personal Articles Policy through State Farm for my wife's engagement & wedding rings with no deductible. I added the drone to that for $20/year. It covers total loss - unrecovered drone - which Refresh does not. That's worth it.
They required receipts and pictures of the drone which is totally reasonable.

I also have Refresh, which I don't think is worth it, but I still ponied up just for peace of mind that I'm covered under any circumstance. I never ever get "purchase insurance", everyone knows that's a scam for most electronics; in this case, where the chance of catastrophe is significantly high, it feels at least like less of a scam.

Last edited:
Ok help me work through this. If I had refresh and let's say I have a flyaway, I crashed into water and can't recover it or whatever reason or even if I can recover it.

I have two options. As long as I can recover the drone, I can leverage refresh with DJI but chance that the logs are ok and they fulfill my request? I will be out of 50 to 150 bucks to replace repair accordingly.

With State Farms or similar, I can just file a claim and they send me money and I buy another one? I don't have to have the drone for example if it's lost at sea.

Is this right?

Ok help me work through this. If I had refresh and let's say I have a flyaway, I crashed into water and can't recover it or whatever reason or even if I can recover it.

I have two options. As long as I can recover the drone, I can leverage refresh with DJI but chance that the logs are ok and they fulfill my request? I will be out of 50 to 150 bucks to replace repair accordingly.

With State Farms or similar, I can just file a claim and they send me money and I buy another one? I don't have to have the drone for example if it's lost at sea.

Is this right?
That is correct. I don’t care if you mess up the gimbal it’s covered you R covered 100% with no deductible it’s a no-brainer. You will have a check in one week go buy another drone. It sure beats dealing with DJI

I think that's mostly correct. My only note would be the Refresh cost is well-defined. $99 up front (for Mavic Pro), repair costs covered up to the cost of the drone. If it needs to be replaced, the first one is $79, the next one is $129.
Also note that refresh specifically covers water damage.

However, Refresh is only good for one year.

I guess it depends on how insurance will treat you after the claim to replace. If they won't cancel the plan, then no deductible (free) is better than $79/129.

But, maybe you hold onto that coverage and use the Refresh in the year it's good for. Obviously, if you have no drone to send back for Refresh, you have to use the insurance.

Fixable repairs should be covered for free under refresh. I have no experience with it though - does anyone know if they tend to replace, requiring payment, instead of repairing for free?
EDIT: I looked closer on the page and it does say there's a fee to repair. So, take that for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I think that's mostly correct. My only note would be the Refresh cost is well-defined. $99 up front (for Mavic Pro), repair costs covered up to the cost of the drone. If it needs to be replaced, the first one is $79, the next one is $129.
Also note that refresh specifically covers water damage.

However, Refresh is only good for one year.

I guess it depends on how insurance will treat you after the claim to replace. If they won't cancel the plan, then no deductible (free) is better than $79/129.

But, maybe you hold onto that coverage and use the Refresh in the year it's good for. Obviously, if you have no drone to send back for Refresh, you have to use the insurance.

Fixable repairs should be covered for free under refresh. I have no experience with it though - does anyone know if they tend to replace, requiring payment, instead of repairing for free?
EDIT: I looked closer on the page and it does say there's a fee to repair. So, take that for what it's worth.
In either case I think there will always be additional fees with refresh. Cheaper than buying it at full price I guess. Even if your had to leverage both times for 79 and 149?

What I don't like is that it's not a no question sort of policy. Of course I'm not saying people won't take advantage and lie outright but the whole process can be a toss up? Even if you were 100% truthful.

The insurance route seems to simply leave it filing a claim and that is that. I could be wrong.

I would like to hear whether anyone ever used the insurance coverage and what was that experience.

I have seen may refresh stories and it's a mix bag.

I have both, DJI Refresh, and State Farm. State Farm is cheap, for the coverage that you receive. Refresh, at twice the cost of my State Farm coverage, is for continued (I hope) coverage on any issues that aren't covered by their warranty, but are drone related, as opposed to me crashing or drowning my Mavic

I have both, DJI Refresh, and State Farm. State Farm is cheap, for the coverage that you receive. Refresh, at twice the cost of my State Farm coverage, is for continued (I hope) coverage on any issues that aren't covered by their warranty, but are drone related, as opposed to me crashing or drowning my Mavic

Just a reminder that refresh is only 1 year - not "continued".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone