DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

International travel (US to New Zealand)

SeattleSpartan01

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the forum and a newbie Mavic Air owner. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for international travel with my Mavic. I'm traveling from the US to New Zealand. I am planning to carry on my drone, putting my batteries in lipo bags and such, but I was curious if anyone had any problems with customs or flying in New Zealand.

Can not help with info about customs as I live here. I have found as long as you fly sensibly you can nearly anywhere you want. Usual rules about airports. no night flights etc. Pick up at the airport leaflet about the flying rules for drones as you arrive in the country.

Contact their version of the FAA (CAA) and ask them what the rules are - I have done that many times before travel and those departments are always happy to help. Keep a copy of the correspondence in case anyone stops you. Searching online for drone rules is often highly ambiguous, so I like to go right to the source. Keep in mind also that local rules / bylaws may differ from the blanket CAA rules, but typically in those scenarios if you aren't flying like a jackass you are OK.

As for the plane, you won't have any issues as long as you keep the batteries and drone in your carry-on (NEVER put lithium batteries in checked baggage). You may have to turn it on to demonstrate it works, I have had to before. Ideally you can keep your spare batteries in a fireproof bag (sounds like you have already), which are only a few dollars on Amazon (and good for home storage too).

This is a good starting place:

Unmanned Aircraft - Drones | Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki