DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro with M1 chip and DJI Fly etc

Raptorman

Reactions
Is there any idea what issues we can expect using an iPad Pro with the new M1 chip while using the DJI Fly app? I currently have the Air 2 and may upgrade to the Air 2S but I don't like flying with the smaller screen of my Samsung S20 phone and the older tablets I have are not compatible with the current DJI apps so getting a new tablet that is compatible is the other item on the 'to-buy' list. I'm not really an Apple guy though I've owned 3 iPhones and an iPad Pro going back a few years, but I no longer have any of them so I'm sizing up the options for a new tablet and the as yet unreleased iPad Pro with M1 is very tempting. The other higher end tablet I'm looking at is the Samsung S7. I would want to use the DJI tablet holder that has the clamp that wraps around the remote so there no force being applied to the antennae rods.

So, the issues as I see it are:

1. Will the use of the M1 chip effected the use of the DJI Fly app or the connectivity between the tablet and the remote?
2. Will the DJI tablet holder work with either/both the iPad Pro 11 inch (M1) or the Samsung S7?

Brian

Reactions: Mugginz
1. Will the use of the M1 chip effected the use of the DJI Fly app or the connectivity between the tablet and the remote?
No. That iPad is the same architecture as past iPad so no software incompatibilities. The hardware in the new Pro is a BEAST and should last you a good while in regards to OS and software support.
2. Will the DJI tablet holder work with either/both the iPad Pro 11 inch (M1) or the Samsung S7?
This tablet holder will fit a tablet up to 7-10 inch. According to DJI support it will not fit the iPad Pro 11". There are others that might fit larger tablets. Make sure you get a long enough USB-C to USB-C cable to connect to the controller!

No. That iPad is the same architecture as past iPad so no software incompatibilities. The hardware in the new Pro is a BEAST and should last you a good while in regards to OS and software support.
I just got a new iPad Pro last fall and usually upgrade only every 4-5 years, but the M1 is good enough I may get a new one and sell my "old" one or give it to my wife. The M1 is seriously impressive. My M1 Mac mini with only 8GB RAM is at least equal in power to my 2019 MacBook Pro with an i9/32GB RAM, and the latter cost 3X as much. At least based on my experience with video (Resolve Studio) and photo (Lr/Ps/Topaz) editing.

This tablet holder will fit a tablet up to 7-10 inch. According to DJI support it will not fit the iPad Pro 11". There are others that might fit larger tablets. Make sure you get a long enough USB-C to USB-C cable to connect to the controller!

See, that's the thing ... the iPad Pro 11" is 7.5" in width so you'd think it would fit in the DJI mount. They don't bother to list the dimensions of the holder in a way you might be able to measure your own tablet and know for sure. Listing it by what tabs work and what don't is stupid if they don't also provide the actual max opening dim of the holder!

Brian

See, that's the thing ... the iPad Pro 11" is 7.5" in width so you'd think it would fit in the DJI mount. They don't bother to list the dimensions of the holder in a way you might be able to measure your own tablet and know for sure. Listing it by what tabs work and what don't is stupid if they don't also provide the actual max opening dim of the holder!

Brian
Agreed! You’d think that would be on the product page, but I had to hunt it down from a forum reply.

The architecture is NOT the same. The old processor (Example A15) was a Harvard Architecture and the new one is Von Newmann. ...The memory and address buses changed from external to internal to support the multi-die with RAM and ROM next to the M1 core. Any new software must be ported to use the new M1 commands and architecture which is now very different than the A-line of processors. Even the kernel of the iOS must be ported. However, to the user - this is seamless but faster. That is, iOS will appear to have the exact same functionality.

Bottom line, Did you test the DJI Software on the new M1? If not, I would be careful about making statements like this. Case and point, a month ago when I was considering a new M1 platform, I declined because Adobe LR, & PS are not compatible with the M1 yet and the rumors was it will be a year before Adobe can adjust. I'm not really sure about the timeline, but I'm sure the physical layer of the embedded system is different, and so the software must be different.

I flew with my 12.9" 3rd Gen pro last week. (A-Line processor) The big screen made it lots of fun. Of course, you have to have some kind of adapter to hold the iPad near the remote controller. I'm not buying the new M1 for my drone until I see it is "Tested" and compatible.

We might be talking about different things as it relates to embedded architecture. If you watch the WWDC announcement there is a video clip explaining how the hardware architecture is different. Also, Tech Insights has a video titled "Early Architectural Changes" on their website now.

Welcome to the forum.

The latest iPad Pros are the same from the user perspective and are fine for use with DJI drones.

Edit: On second thought I was too aggressive to a new member and apologize.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21