DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPhone 6s battery drain

360 Guy

Reactions
Before I contact DJI, I'll pay out my problem to the rank & file here.
New to me is my Mini.........three days old. Upon firing up the drone and the controller (not flying) I found that going thru the start up and & DJI app, my phone battery is being drained big time.
I start off with 95% charge and about 10 to 12 minutes (fooling around with controller & drone) my phone battery is down to 52%.
Does anyone know the cause and cure to my problem?
At this point I'm afraid to fly for fear of loosing phone contact with the drone.
HELP PLEASE !!

TIA,
Panz

Can you try watching any sort of video in similar lighting conditions, at similar screen brightness, for a similar time and see how much that drains the battery?
I am just wondering if it is perhaps an aging battery.
Though I am by no means certain that watching a simple video will place as much of a work load on the phone as 10 to 12 minutes of fly app v1.2.xyz? does.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the consensus here is that the latest Fly App version is a resource hog. The outdated processor of the iPhone 6s and its variants is no help either.

I previously used an iPhone 6s with the old version of the Fly App (1.2.1) with no problems at all. I was quite happy with it.

Then I switched to the iPhone 6 plus and the latest version of the Fly App and I get this "CPU Overload ..." message everytime I start the app. I became hesitant to use the iPhone as the screen suddenly dims when I am flying.

Now, I am using an android phone and I have no problems at all.

Before I contact DJI, I'll pay out my problem to the rank & file here.
New to me is my Mini.........three days old. Upon firing up the drone and the controller (not flying) I found that going thru the start up and & DJI app, my phone battery is being drained big time.
I start off with 95% charge and about 10 to 12 minutes (fooling around with controller & drone) my phone battery is down to 52%.
Does anyone know the cause and cure to my problem?
At this point I'm afraid to fly for fear of loosing phone contact with the drone.
HELP PLEASE !!

TIA,
Panz
Losing phone contact, while scary isn't a drone crasher. The 6s is an older phone. Is the original battery still in it?

I've had a similar experience. The 6s works fine, and battery life was quite acceptable until a recent upgrade (could be either IOS or DJI Fly). Now, it only lasts about 15 minutes. Battery health is in the high 80s.

Fortunately, this is an old phone I only use for the Mini. If I need to, I could connect my 12, but prefer not to remove it from the case so often.

I am using a 6plus and also find it uses the battery pretty fast. I carry a power bank to charge the phone if I feel I need to but have had no real control or connection issues with it.

To be direct: the iPhone 6 isn't "up to the task" of running the DJI app, and I can guarantee you that the battery in that phone is shot. I upgraded from a 6 to an 8 before I bought my MA2, and the battery in my (old) 6 lasted about half as long as my (new) 8.

Strange, my 5S seems to run Fly just fine BUT they are on 1.1.3 and I rarely use them.
They will not now be upgraded, I would contrmplate putting 1.1.6 on if I could find it but I can't

I am not arguing that an S6 is capable of running 1.2.xyz but that it might run earlier versions quite happily

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE ON BATTEURY DRAIN................
After flying the MM a couple of times, I tried a few things with my phone.
I went to "general" then to "phone storage", I "OFF LOADED" a lot of unnecessary apps.
I had the phone charged to 100%, flew the Mini for a 20 minute run just to check drain.
At the end of the flight. the phone battery was down to 92%, a vast improvement that I'm happy with.
Battery not needed, just put non essential apps to sleep for awhile.
Tapping on the apps that were "off loaded", will bring them back to life once again.

Hope this helps someone. ;-)

Reactions: Rick448
Losing phone contact, while scary isn't a drone crasher. The 6s is an older phone. Is the original battery still in it?
I've got the iphone 6s (2014-15) with my Mini as well and this 6s gets hot as hell when I'm flying.. drains quick too (but I'm never 'up in the air' that long that I worry about it). Time to upgrade methinks is best solution. (I'm in Canada so somehow DJI Fly app is unavailable for all my Androids. (My Mavic 2 uses Android - but another DJI app, not the 'DJI Fly')

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31