DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Anyone Doing Color Grading and Editing in Final Cut Pro?

PalmettoAerial

Reactions
I have seen tutorials in which adobe is used for color and another software like FCP is used for general editing. I was curious how common it is to use one - like FCP - as a one stop shop for post processing?

I have seen tutorials in which adobe is used for color and another software like FCP is used for general editing. I was curious how common it is to use one - like FCP - as a one stop shop for post processing?
I am sure most people that use FPCX use it to color grade. I do happen to find it to be the weakest of the big 3 (Premier Pro, FCPX, and DaVinci Resolve) at color grading, but, if you are going to color grade in Premier Pro I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t just use Premier Pro to edit too and vice versa. The color grading part is what is most different between those programs. The editing part is all in all very similar between them.

I have used FCPX for several years for editing and grading. FCPX has adequate grading tools for color correction of most drone footage. For video work not involving drone footage, the superior capabilities of Resolve are better.

The issue with color correction is not the tool set, but the skill of the editor. There is all kinds of discussion about LUTS and their abilities as magic tools. They are nothing but prepackaged adjustment routines that are useful only for very specific situations, and are far more limited than knowledgeable use of FXPX’s or Resolve’s tools,

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
I use FCP for editing, grading etc. More than enough for drone footage as far as I need. I did use PP but the ongoing yearly fee put me off as FCP is a one time purchase. I personally don't use LUTS as each clip is slightly different and doing manually gives me the control I'm after, especially as I can be putting together footage from various sources.

I use FCP for editing, grading etc. More than enough for drone footage as far as I need. I did use PP but the ongoing yearly fee put me off as FCP is a one time purchase. I personally don't use LUTS as each clip is slightly different and doing manually gives me the control I'm after, especially as I can be putting together footage from various sources.
Yeah I hate the subscription model as well and would rather just pay and be done with it. I am not that familair with any of the popular Post processing softwares, but my understanding is FCP is similar to iMovie and thats the extent of my software experience.

I have never used LUTs but I am interested in learning more about them. If you dont use luts do you grade each frame on its own?

I am sure most people that use FPCX use it to color grade. I do happen to find it to be the weakest of the big 3 (Premier Pro, FCPX, and DaVinci Resolve) at color grading, but, if you are going to color grade in Premier Pro I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t just use Premier Pro to edit too and vice versa. The color grading part is what is most different between those programs. The editing part is all in all very similar between them.
Good to know. I am likely going to buy FCP at some point soon. I have not tried the other competing softwares but I also dont want to pay an subscription fee either.

Yeah I hate the subscription model as well and would rather just pay and be done with it. I am not that familair with any of the popular Post processing softwares, but my understanding is FCP is similar to iMovie and thats the extent of my software experience.

I have never used LUTs but I am interested in learning more about them. If you dont use luts do you grade each frame on its own?
FCP is similar but more powerful than iMovie. Learning curve isn't too bad, hardest part for me was moving from PP to FCP as there are differences and I not only had to learn FCP but unlearn PP.....

Generally I use lots of small clips, which are usually from different sources to make short promo videos that are social media friendly. Therefore I just have to grade enough to make the clips match and get the general appearance the same for the end footage.

Base editing can be done easily on MacBook Pro, with the final rendering done on my iMac. To do this it's much easier to have files on a common location, and rather than cloud I use external drive.

FCP is similar but more powerful than iMovie. Learning curve isn't too bad, hardest part for me was moving from PP to FCP as there are differences and I not only had to learn FCP but unlearn PP.....

Generally I use lots of small clips, which are usually from different sources to make short promo videos that are social media friendly. Therefore I just have to grade enough to make the clips match and get the general appearance the same for the end footage.

Base editing can be done easily on MacBook Pro, with the final rendering done on my iMac. To do this it's much easier to have files on a common location, and rather than cloud I use external drive.

Most of my footage will be from my travels and I would like them to pop. Also I have done some RE footage on the side for development and land sales, so I would likely want those to look their best if and when those opportunities present themselves ...

Most of my footage will be from my travels and I would like them to pop. Also I have done some RE footage on the side for development and land sales, so I would likely want those to look their best if and when those opportunities present themselves ...
Final Cut Pro - Free Trial - 90 day trial. Probably the best way is to try first :)

Final Cut Pro - Free Trial - 90 day trial. Probably the best way is to try first :)
Thank you!

Any tips or tricks?

I frequent youtube to see how other guys get that really impressive cinematic look
I have the same setup. I bought a used imac as my homebase with the specific purpose of doing all of the Post processing ..

When you downloaded FCP on the imac can you access it on the macbook when you are on the go? (without buying a new product key)

Good to know. I am likely going to buy FCP at some point soon. I have not tried the other competing softwares but I also dont want to pay an subscription fee either.
If you haven’t already purchased FCPX and you are just starting out on learning a NLE I would definitely recommend DaVinci Resolve instead.

Davinci Resolve is hands down a better program and the free version is all most people really need. If you opt for the paid version it is $299 for a lifetime subscription, meaning you pay a one time payment of $299 and you get free updates for life. The exact same as FCPX and in fact the companion programs to FCPX, such as compressor or Apple motion, technically make FCPX potentially more expensive.

The color grading suite in Resolve is by far the best color grading program out and it does everything FCPX can do and much more. I really don’t think Resolve is any harder to learn than FCPX but it has the ability to do much more complex things which I think is the only reason some people think that it has a steeper learning curve. To do the same thing Resolve is just as easy as FCPX.

Any program is going to have a learning curve when first starting out but you have the ability to grow into the more complex parts of Resolve where with FCPX, at some point you’l hit a wall where the program simply can’t do something.

You have nothing to lose by trying out the free version of resolve which, again, could easily be all you ever need.

Thank you!

Any tips or tricks?

I frequent youtube to see how other guys get that really impressive cinematic look

I have the same setup. I bought a used imac as my homebase with the specific purpose of doing all of the Post processing ..

When you downloaded FCP on the imac can you access it on the macbook when you are on the go? (without buying a new product key)
The one product key works on both of mine with no issues. Not sure about both simultaneously as I use external drive which limits me to one machine in use anyway

Basically if you’re an Apple 🍎 person, then FCPX is the natural progression from iMovie. For me it works flawlessly to colour grade and edit, and was relatively easy to learn. Whilst Davinci free version is definitely powerful and an amazing free editing piece of software, it has a much steeper learning curve (IMO) than FCPX.

Basically if you’re an Apple 🍎 person, then FCPX is the natural progression from iMovie. For me it works flawlessly to colour grade and edit, and was relatively easy to learn. Whilst Davinci free version is definitely powerful and an amazing free editing piece of software, it has a much steeper learning curve (IMO) than FCPX.
Good to know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01