DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible that WiFi only controls will be added via firmware update in the future?

lenabanana

Reactions
Just noticed that the MP2 is missing WiFi (phone only) control capability.

I’m probably one of the few that actually use this feature but I’m bummed to see it gone.

From a hardware standpoint, could it be added via firmware update in the future or would it be missing some required hardware?

Likely not...the M2P/M2Z, M2E and M2ED all use Ocusync 2.0 which gives greater range and reliability; it is a proprietary protocol. There are even more features in the M2-series systems and I found controlling the M1 with wifi only to be disappointing due to limited range and the lack of tactile feedback using just a phone as opposed to control sticks, C1/2 buttons and wheels.

While most of the hardware is probably there the original Mavic Pro has a control switch on the aircraft to put in in wifi mode - this switch is not on the Mavic 2.

For a brief outline on Ocusync and a comparison between Version 1 and 2 look at this:
Expert World Travel

Thanks for the thorough reply. I was hoping there might be a way.

It might not be perfect, but it allows me to use my drone in situations I otherwise couldn’t.

For example snowboarding, I don’t have room for the controller in my pocket or in situations where I might be getting wet. My phone is waterproof but the controllers isn’t.

By the lack of replies though I can see why dji removed it, doesn’t seem like anyone used it besides me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CtrlAltDlt