DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the RC Pro really worth $1000?

dmiles119

Reactions
As much as I love my Mavic 3 Pro, I really despise the RC. Not only is the screen way to small, I spent the longest time thinking it was never registering my first touch of the touch screen. Then I realized, it was registering the touch, it is just painfully slow to respond. It responds like a...well like an Android device.

I actually prefer my RC-N1 with my Ipad Pro. But for obvious reasons, it is also less than ideal.

So, those of you who sprung for the extra 1K for the RC Pro, is it worth it? And if you would, please let me know why, or why not.

Thanks!

It’s worth it for me. My ipad overheats easily in AZ and just before that it dims out and I can’t see anything in sunlight. Set up time is a straight through affair. The screen size is better than any phone. Never had any delay in touch, and I’m a long time Android/Apple user, there’s no difference in that regard. Also, there’s no bloatware. I am an early adopter of the Mavic 3 and RC Pro since it was released. Only gripe was the false promise I’d be given a refund coupon for buying it early on, and that little SDK disappointment.

I conducted a major project this year in the field using the RC Pro frequently. The M3 and RC Pro never failed or let me down in any way.

As much as I love my Mavic 3 Pro, I really despise the RC. Not only is the screen way to small, I spent the longest time thinking it was never registering my first touch of the touch screen. Then I realized, it was registering the touch, it is just painfully slow to respond. It responds like a...well like an Android device.

I actually prefer my RC-N1 with my Ipad Pro. But for obvious reasons, it is also less than ideal.

So, those of you who sprung for the extra 1K for the RC Pro, is it worth it? And if you would, please let me know why, or why not.

Thanks!
Worth it, IMHO, but it's $1200, not $1000, although it appears Amazon has it now for $1119, returnable until January 31, if you find it not worth it for you. Mini HDMI out allows you to use any size screen you want, with or without telemetry. Lots of extra customizable buttons, including a 5 way button. Ability to install other apps. Better range than the RC. Brighter screen.

Reactions: Cafguy
I'm an RC Pro fan as well but at this point, it's probably worth closer to $699. The screen could be bigger, it's not O4, and it's brighter but it could a bit brighter. There is less than a $900 difference between the M3P kits, too. We don't know if the RC Pro2 will be compatible with the M3P and we don't even know if or when it will launch but IMO, the RC Pro has been out too long to pay full price so there's that. I have a Tripltek 9 so I'm doing a little bit of comparison.

I'm an RC Pro fan as well but at this point, it's probably worth closer to $699. The screen could be bigger, it's not O4, and it's brighter but it could a bit brighter. There is less than a $900 difference between the M3P kits, too. We don't know if the RC Pro2 will be compatible with the M3P and we don't even know if or when it will launch but IMO, the RC Pro has been out too long to pay full price so there's that. I have a Tripltek 9 so I'm doing a little bit of comparison.
A lightly used one is also now available for $959 from Adorama.

Thanks!
I have an RC Pro lightly used that I would part with at a good price for a fellow member

Thanks!
I have Mavic Pro 2, Mavic Pro, Mini 2 and Mini 4 Pro. I love the 4 Pro, the way it flies and the quality of its camera right out of the box. I was literally stunned at how well the video and photos came out without ever touching or making any adjustments; quite literally right out of the box after charging the RC and batteries. Oh and I have no regrets at the price paid; but then again my Mavic 2 Pro cost more then double of the 4 Pro.

I would not pay retail for an RC Pro.
They are really nice and if you are going to stick with series 3 and below drones then for sure its a good investment BUT The Pro 2 is right around the corner I'm sure, So I would save the big bucks for it.
There are some good deals on Ebay for these controllers BUT probably not as good as a fellow member such as Clowman would give you.

Thanks!
I love it. I use it with my 2S and Mavic 3. Easy peasy: No cables, no tablet or phone to hook up, lots of programmable buttons.Very good screen. But, compatible with only a few drones, and newer ones will not likely be backwards compatible with it. If you're thinking of a Mavic 4 in the future (I am), you'll need a new controller. So, unless you can get a lightly used one for a lot less than $1200, I'd save my money

A few years ago, I was going back and forth on buying the Smart Controller. I kept waiting and then the price jumped $200 and I was ticked off that I should have just pulled the trigger and bought it. The additional money made the decision even harder. But I finally pulled the trigger and bought it and it was worth every cent. I was kicking myself for the many months that I flew with the stock remote that I could have enjoyed the flying experience so much better. I swore to myself that I would never cheap out on controllers again. (I fly probably 20 times/week for work).

So when the RC Pro was announced, I immediately bought it to upgrade the Smart Controller. Yes, expensive.
BUT ALSO worth every cent to me. Rock solid, great transmission, great battery, feels great in the hand.
I also have a mount from Thor's Drone world to attach a field monitor so I have two screens: One camera view and one with all the OSD and telemetry.

That all being said, without the newest O4 transmission system, I would not buy the RC Pro. I am hoping and assuming they will introduce a new similar remote for Mavic 3 and Air 3?

Last edited:
I don’t know maybe Dji will wait until they release Mavic 4 to bring out the successor. How’s the range compare to the DJI RC? I know it outputs more power and also the 4 antennas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13