DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is There a Way to See Yaw Angle Onscreen While in Flight?

flyingdog

Reactions
Bear with me, I'm new. First little fledgling flight today.

I have a mini 3 (non-pro) and am interested in doing panoramas. I chose the mini 3 because I can set the camera vertical which will get a bigger sky.

I'm mainly just interested in single plane ~180 degree panoramas. In vertical the angle of view isn't very big and to get overlap takes a lot of shots. If I did my math right for 50% overlap I need to take a picture every 8.5 degrees.

I see I can make the compass visible in the corner, but it is pretty small and nothing more than a pointer. I wasn't flying very high and though just looking at the drone and screen I could gauge things pretty well, but when I went to stitch the images there wasn't overlap. It was my first flight too, but..

I know the drone keeps track of the yaw angle. I'm just using the fly app. I don't know if it accepts plugins or not. I have heard there is third party software as well. I was thinking if I could display just the current yaw angle on screen along with the image I could use that.

I'd like to take the pictures sooner rather than later as I may run out of suitable weather pretty quickly. I have seen people talk about manual panos are better and some spoke of doing if vertically as well, but I really haven't found any clear instructions how to do it with any precision other than someone said to turn the grid on. I did see how to do that, but today while flying I couldn't see how to do it, maybe I have to do that before I take off.

So if anyone knows if there is or definitely isn't a way to display yaw angle I'd like to know as well as any other information on how to do this.

Thanks in advance

I really haven't found any clear instructions how to do it with any precision other than someone said to turn the grid on. I did see how to do that, but today while flying I couldn't see how to do it, maybe I have to do that before I take off.
You have to do it while the drone is connected.
After that it should be there each time you power up.
i-BjRKCz2-M.jpg

Once you are seeing the grid, it's easy to compose, click, rotate the drone, check composition, click etc, etc.
i-cgq3dwm-X2.jpg

And stitch
DJI_0928-43a-X3.jpg

I'm not sure Litchi works with the mini 3 but maybe. The grid is the only way to do manual panos that I know about and I use it a lot. I over lap 1/3 for each shot and move the view so one tic tac toe corner moves to the previous and sometimes I will move over as many as 8 or more positions and then go up or down a row and back across. You can create some huge, amazing panoramas. I primarily use it with my 7x on my Mav3Pro which doesn't do all the kinds of panos automatically.

Reactions: maggior
I'm not sure Litchi works with the mini 3 but maybe. The grid is the only way to do manual panos that I know about and I use it a lot. I over lap 1/3 for each shot and move the view so one tic tac toe corner moves to the previous and sometimes I will move over as many as 8 or more positions and then go up or down a row and back across. You can create some huge, amazing panoramas. I primarily use it with my 7x on my Mav3Pro which doesn't do all the kinds of panos automatically.
What software do you use for stitching?

I will probably use affinity photo, I also have the no longer supported Microsoft stitching app, I think it is called ICE. Maybe something else. I have used the Microsoft app in the past and have more recently purchased Affinity, although it didn't do what I wanted it for, but now that I have it I might as well use it. Generally I used Linux and GIMP for graphics and it doesn't have the ability to stitch or hasn't in the past.

Turns out Litchi doesn't work with a mini 3 yet anyway. They have a beta, but it doesn't sound like it does stitching.

I'm sort of making it harder than it has to be using the vertical, I can just use it in landscape and take two rows or pictures. The overlaps will be easier too.

Litchi does sound like it does a good job with panos though, so maybe when they get it done I'll try it. It is to have a new name and be a new separate app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne