DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there an artificial horizon? in any version of the Fly app?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

I was going through a lost drone flight (from a thread here) using the Phantomhelp log viewer when I realised I was spending quite a bit of time looking at what might be an "artificial horizon" and how useful it was. I am not aware of it being available in the version of the Fly App, for Mavic Mini, that I have on my Samsung S6 but I am wondering if it is available in any of the firmware versions for any of the models that use the Fly app?
I think it would be extremely useful for Mavic Mini pilots as an indicator of the wind strength and direction. I sorely miss being able to switch to ATTI mode ( Phantom 3) and being able to see the wind drift of the drone, an artificial horizon might go some way to replacing that usage of ATTI

If your talking about the compass like in the Go App im not sure about
the Air2 but that’s one of the main issues I have with the a fly App.
You get a lot of info from it if you know how to understand it.

The thing I am asking about is circled in red in the attachment (if it will attach, I am having problems getting it to do so)

I you look at the RHS of the satellite image on DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
it's the blue 'semi circle' thing

Attachments

• artificial horizon.jpg
    artificial horizon.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 60
The thing I am asking about is circled in red in the attachment (if it will attach, I am having problems getting it to do so)

I you look at the RHS of the satellite image on DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
it's the blue 'semi circle' thing
Ok well that’s what’s in the compass in Go app that blue. That’s what I was referring to. As far as that viewer I don’t mess or look at them i
have sar107 for that. ?

Ok ..... but is it in any version of the fly app? I have the phantom 3 pilot's aversion to firmware updates so my mini and the app are as they arrived .

Ok ..... but is it in any version of the fly app? I have the phantom 3 pilot's aversion to firmware updates so my mini and the app are as they arrived .
Not that I have seen. None of them.

The data is there - the telemetry files know climb/descent, roll, estimated wind strength and direction. It might be worth suggesting it in one of DJI's own places because it would be simple to display them in the app, in exactly the way it doesn't do currently.

Reactions: Capt KO
Another reason not to "upgrade" to a mini (at least for me). Fly vs. Go4

But that is not an artificial horizon, that is a "radar" style indicator of relative drone position to the RC position (requires mobile device with active compass).

Uum Dakarenduro I have just brought up the circular thing on a a Go4 app connected to a Mavic 2 Pro. There is an indicator within it that seems to represent the drone and probably its direction and position relative to the controller

BUT there is a blue part-of-a-shaded-cirle thing within a white circle that does appear to behave somewhat in accordance with my understanding of an artificial horizon.
If (by hand) I tilt the drone nose up the blue thing 'sinks' within the white circle, as I lower the nose the blue thing rises, as if I were watching the horizon through an aircraft's windscreen. However if I tilt the drone to the right, as if to move right, the left hand side of the cricle rises whilst the right hand side sink, vice versa if I tilt the drone to the left as if to move left, this seems contrary to what I expected to happen.
(I am wondering if the drone and controller are too close together and something is confused as to whether the drone is in front of or behind the controller, would that make a difference?).

Wow, I apologize for the bad info then!
I never realized within the circle there was an indicator. I will try it out tomorrow and see how mine acts. I have always only used it for the 'radar' orientation and that is very rarely. I usually have the map up 99% of the time. I find that much more useful than when I've tried the radar.

If you are flight checking this it would be interesting to see, when at distance, how the blue area responds to moving left and or right from the drones perpspective and whether or not turning the drone through 180 degs changes this response. Ditto having the drone in front of the controller or behind the controller.

OK, tried it out this morning.
It certainly does have a horizon indicator! At a distance, the horizon tilts left/right in accordance with my stick inputs to fly left/right. I also barely noticed it increase above center horizon during an ascent.
Mine does not indicate via compass where the AC is in realtime. Not sure if it should or not. In otherwords it seems to take a snapshot of the direction I am facing at take off then it will correctly show the drone location in relation to that direction - both in front and behind me. but if i rotate myself 180 it does not adjust the drone orientation on that display by 180. if that makes sense.
still don't personally find this very useful. including the attitude indicator. cant see that i will ever use it, but never know.

hope this helps.

Thanks for that Dakarenduro.
With regards to use, the one that I see is in it being an indicator of the wind speed. If the drone is in a hover and has to tilt significantly in any particular direction to hold position then it is encountering significant wind, particularily useful with the mini which is 'so susceptable' to the wind.
Other people may have other uses but mine is the one that occurred to me when I realised I was watching it in the 'replay' of DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost