DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this battery shot??

Ron-EP

Reactions
Hey all!

So while flying today and swapping batteries something caught my eye. I glanced at my battery pins and noticed the one on the far end appeared different. After some up close inspection it appears the contacts are bent. Bent but still there and i believe still making 'contact' both while charging and while flying. Still, I'm a little uneasy about it. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with how the power transfer works both for charging and supplying power and whether all the pins are even necessary? The battery has less than 20 cycles on it. Who knows how long its even been like that. Ive never had any issues...Thoughts?20210106_134707.jpg20210106_134740.jpg20210106_134959.jpg20210106_135242.jpg

Perhaps this adaptor for connecting external battery to the Air 2 gives some hints. only the outermost four pins on each side have metal for electrical contacts suggesting that the two groups of pins are + / - terminals of the battery. You just lost 1/4 of the contact points for one of the terminals. I think it should be OK.

1609986666566.png

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between the four outermost pins on each side of the connector on the drone's side. If it's zero, it can be confirmed that they are just tied together on the circuit board

For your reference this is the pinouts of the battery of Mavic Air 1 :

1610002874676.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron-EP
Perhaps this adaptor for connecting external battery to the Air 2 gives some hints. only the outermost four pins on each side have metal for electrical contacts suggesting that the two groups of pins are + / - terminals of the battery. You just lost 1/4 of the contact points for one of the terminals. I think it should be OK.

View attachment 121052

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between the four outermost pins on each side of the connector on the drone's side. If it's zero, it can be confirmed that they are just tied together on the circuit board

For your reference this is the pinouts of the battery of Mavic Air 1 :

View attachment 121087
Interesting. Ok. Thanks for that input.

The power pins are tied together on both sides of the connection, AC and battery.

This definitely won't be an issue for charging as the current is relatively low.
In flight though it can be 10A. Multiple pins are needed to support that amount of current and to keep overall connection resistance low. If you looked inside of high power devices with low voltage (12v for example) power supply modules, you'll find several positive and negative power wires. A computer power supply to the motherboard is a good example where a MoBo may draw 20A on the 5 and 12v feeds. A single 18 guage wire can't handle that much current without getting excessively hot or dropping the voltage through it's small but finite resistance.

That said, I don't think one bad pin will be an issue. It might actually be making sufficient contact and trying to fix it may lose that contact. And even if it isn't making contact, the other pins should be able to handle the load. Just keep an eye out for any evidence of overheating or arcing around the pins on the battery and AC.

Reactions: MA2 317 and Ron-EP
The power pins are tied together on both sides of the connection, AC and battery.

This definitely won't be an issue for charging as the current is relatively low.
In flight though it can be 10A. Multiple pins are needed to support that amount of current and to keep overall connection resistance low. If you looked inside of high power devices with low voltage (12v for example) power supply modules, you'll find several positive and negative power wires. A computer power supply to the motherboard is a good example where a MoBo may draw 20A on the 5 and 12v feeds. A single 18 guage wire can't handle that much current without getting excessively hot or dropping the voltage through it's small but finite resistance.

That said, I don't think one bad pin will be an issue. It might actually be making sufficient contact and trying to fix it may lose that contact. And even if it isn't making contact, the other pins should be able to handle the load. Just keep an eye out for any evidence of overheating or arcing around the pins on the battery and AC.
Good information. Super helpful. Thank you. I'm a lot more at ease now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone