DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this Mavic Pro noise normal?

WilliamG

Reactions
So here's an odd one. I don't recall my first Mavic Pro doing this, but since I got it replaced for a new one (wobbly rear arm), this one - right after gimbal calibration, makes a weird noise.

Watch till the end, with the sound up. It happens after the calibration appears to finish, right at the end of the video. Any thoughts? No errors or problems, but no idea if this is normal...

Thanks, guys.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mine started to make that screech noise at the end of the start up, doing that only after a crash

Er... this has never been crashed. So...

Is this a product of the latest firmware maybe? Mine does this on every single startup.

Maybe it's a refurb that looks new, is there a R in the serial number.

I have had the same noise ever since I got it back from DJI repair about 4 months back. It hasn't caused me any problems so far so it may be firmware related (DJI updated mine before sending it back and that's when it showed up [but then they replaced the gimbal so who knows]) -CF

I have had the same noise ever since I got it back from DJI repair about 4 months back. It hasn't caused me any problems so far so it may be firmware related (DJI updated mine before sending it back and that's when it showed up [but then they replaced the gimbal so who knows]) -CF

Interesting.

Guess it will just be one of life's (aka Mavic's) mysteries.

Forgot to add mine only does this intermittently, once you stop and start it a few times in a row it not longer makes the noise

Forgot to add mine only does this intermittently, once you stop and start it a few times in a row it not longer makes the noise

I’ve only flown this Mavic a few times so that may yet be the case for me. Either way won’t worry about it.

Thanks!

I’ve only flown this Mavic a few times so that may yet be the case for me. Either way won’t worry about it.

Thanks!

first start up from cold it will make the noise

Can you please narrow it down to exactly where the sound is coming from. If it is coming from your gimbal, can you determine which gimbal motor is making the noise? It is not normal. How long have you had it?

In most cases, if I hear that noise coming from the gimbal, it means one or more of the motors is having trouble finding center, and might eventually get worse and fail. Find out which one is making the noise and then feel the temperature of that motor.

Can you please narrow it down to exactly where the sound is coming from. If it is coming from your gimbal, can you determine which gimbal motor is making the noise? It is not normal. How long have you had it?

In most cases, if I hear that noise coming from the gimbal, it means one or more of the motors is having trouble finding center, and might eventually get worse and fail. Find out which one is making the noise and then feel the temperature of that motor.

I've had it just a few days... like... 4 days? I don't think it's anything to do with the drone finding center, as it already has before the noise occurs. The gimbal/camera does not move at all when it happens. The temperature of the motor is also unlikely to be a factor as it does it every time - whether from cold, or warmed up (for me - can't speak for others).

I've had it just a few days... like... 4 days? I don't think it's anything to do with the drone finding center, as it already has before the noise occurs. The gimbal/camera does not move at all when it happens. The temperature of the motor is also unlikely to be a factor as it does it every time - whether from cold, or warmed up (for me - can't speak for others).

Touch each motor when the drone is powered on. See if moving any of the motors a tiny bit makes the sound occur.

Touch each motor when the drone is powered on. See if moving any of the motors a tiny bit makes the sound occur.

Nada. Nothing. Seems odd that there's a bunch of people experiencing this, but none that I've seen that have had this on early build Mavic Pros... Maybe it's a mid-2017 thing? Just guessing here..

Last edited:
Yeah I just tried mine too. On powering on, it goes through the gimbal startup process then, once the startup is over it makes that noise once, exactly as in video, then nothing more. None of the gimbal motors are warm or jittering. It's almost like a confirmation that the gimbal is finished its startup. I don't know...
-CF

Yeah I just tried mine too. On powering on, it goes through the gimbal startup process then, once the startup is over it makes that noise once, exactly as in video, then nothing more. None of the gimbal motors are warm or jittering. It's almost like a confirmation that the gimbal is finished its startup. I don't know...
-CF

Right. Will just have to just pray nothing bad happens. What age is your drone?

I've never looked up the serial number, but I bought it in Febuary of last year. I'm not too worried about it failing but I guess we'll see...

I've never looked up the serial number, but I bought it in Febuary of last year. I'm not too worried about it failing but I guess we'll see...

Interesting. That's likely an earlier build. I got mine just this week as a brand new unit from Best Buy, and it was manufactured September, 2017. So hm.

Not going to worry about it. Even if a motor is whirring like that for one second when it shouldn't, it would likely take a LOT of doing that to break anything.

Pure conjecture, of course.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexxorellana