DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is your phone screen dimming when hot - Solutions

Phoenix Drone

Reactions
When it's over 85 deg outside, my iPhone 6s screen dims after about 5 minutes due to it working hard, especially if it is in the sun. This makes it hard to see the screen.

- small jelled cold pack on back of phone (wet and your hand freezes)
- sunshade (helps some, but still dims eventually)
- phone that have more nits (brightness) or the DJI smart controller or Crystal Sky (both expensive).

Better solution for me: First, use a dedicated "Drone Phone" (it does not need cell service and only run the DJI Go 4 app). Run the WiFi hotspot on your primary phone and connect your "Drone Phone" to it so it has connectivity. You can get used phones on eBay for a reasonable price. I also bought a fan for the back of the phone and place it where the phone is the hottest (see attached picture of where the CPU is, placed the suction cup fan under the lens area). Plug the fan into an external supply, like a small Anker PowerCore. It is more convenient to plug in using the USB port on the bottom of the controller, but I measured the fan current at 180mA and the controller takes 1,800mA (DJI spec), so that is 10% of the power. If you run multiple batteries (I run 7), you need all the remote power you can get, especially if you use it to charge your phone, so I use the external supply.

Power Supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NF5NTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fan: Amazon.com: Mobile Phone Cooling Fan: Egale
IR heat profile of iPhone 6: attached.

I hope this was helpful.

Attachments

• iPhone Heat Signature - where to put fan.jpg
    iPhone Heat Signature - where to put fan.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 30
I never had my phone get hot from use. I've always used Samsung phones though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121