DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's not if.... It's when!!!

Flying eye

Reactions
I am a firm believer in the saying "It's not if you crash your drone, It's when you crash",,, well, I was zipping around the house right at dark, was gonna land in a few seconds and put things up. Then my neighbors 40 ft. maple tree jumped up and grabbed my M2z . I went up fast right before, but dang it... i still was pushing forward like a dummy... smack!!!! flop, flop.. hit the ground. front 2 prop legs folded back and missing just one prop. A little grass in the forward sensor. I have new replacement props and will replace them all anyway. I usually fly early morning on my weekend off, but it's been raining a lot each weekend morning and I wanted to fly a little and it was starting to get dark quick. I might have to use my 1st care refresh if things don't work right after clean up and prop replacements. Anyway, I'm glad I could recover it without climbing a tree... I'm too old for that crap. and too cheap to hire a bucket truck tree trimmer outfit to retrieve it for me... cheers!

My first system four years ago was a Phantom 4. I flew that a lot. I now have a Mavic 2 Pro which I fly commercially and a Mavic Air 2 that I fly for fun. In four years, I have not had a single incident other than a simple compass failure one time with the P4 from stupidly taking off from my car roof, but I was still able to safely land it. I’m not saying that it won’t happen, but I do know for sure that the chances can be seriously mitigated if one does not fly their copter close and/or all around things that it can crash into. Also, the first thing I do on all my copters is turn obstacle avoidance off. IMO, it gives one a false sense of security, and without it, one tends to be more careful. Sorry for your crash by the way.

Sorry for your luck.

I had the closest call I've ever had (minus actually losing one) the other day... kinda similar situation.

I set up a waypoint Hyperlapse, 5 "points" I think. About 3 minutes in to the 5 minute flight I started getting the attention of nearby crows, to the point they were circling my drone. They, being three total, and yes, all three were looking way more interested that I was cool with.

So okay, let's come home then, forget the Hyperlapse... not worth it.

Welllllll, I was at 85' and flew a different route home... backwards. I didn't see the pine needles until I flew over them. I was so close I could count them.

Reactions: Flying eye
I am a firm believer in the saying "It's not if you crash your drone, It's when you crash",,, well, I was zipping around the house right at dark, was gonna land in a few seconds and put things up. Then my neighbors 40 ft. maple tree jumped up and grabbed my M2z . I went up fast right before, but dang it... i still was pushing forward like a dummy... smack!!!! flop, flop.. hit the ground. front 2 prop legs folded back and missing just one prop. A little grass in the forward sensor. I have new replacement props and will replace them all anyway. I usually fly early morning on my weekend off, but it's been raining a lot each weekend morning and I wanted to fly a little and it was starting to get dark quick. I might have to use my 1st care refresh if things don't work right after clean up and prop replacements. Anyway, I'm glad I could recover it without climbing a tree... I'm too old for that crap. and too cheap to hire a bucket truck tree trimmer outfit to retrieve it for me... cheers!
Yup, been there.

Sorry for your luck.

I had the closest call I've ever had (minus actually losing one) the other day... kinda similar situation.

I set up a waypoint Hyperlapse, 5 "points" I think. About 3 minutes in to the 5 minute flight I started getting the attention of nearby crows, to the point they were circling my drone. They, being three total, and yes, all three were looking way more interested that I was cool with.

So okay, let's come home then, forget the Hyperlapse... not worth it.

Welllllll, I was at 85' and flew a different route home... backwards. I didn't see the pine needles until I flew over them. I was so close I could count them.
Birds are always a problem for me. I usually stay way above the trees but not this time.. ha

In four years of flying I've never had a crash because I'm CAUTIOUS, especially in the kind of arena you were flying in. Seems to me you asked for it & you unfortunately got it. Hope you learned from it and that the repairs to your UAV weren't too expensive. I recently had a new waterproof coating applied to my roof and decided to take aerial photos/video, flying my Mavic, of the "Before and After" effect but there are several telephone wires, running from a pole on the front of my property across it to adjacent properties, very close to my roof. Needless to say I didn't go "zipping" about but was very, very careful to avoid said wires when doing the shots.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Flying eye
In four years of flying I've never had a crash because I'm CAUTIOUS, especially in the arena you were intent on flying in. Seems to me you asked for it & you unfortunately got it. Hope you learned from it.
Okay, but do you have footage like this?

How many hours of flight, not years of ownership.

My brother has had a Spark since they came out, and flown it less than 100 hours. I however, have flown mine over 500.

He was flying around his house...? How is that an "arena you weren't intent on flying in". Oh, and I almost forgot, those dang trees can jump out from anywhere!... he was definitely asking for it.

This was filmed with my MA2, all in Sport mode, not being CAUTIOUS, but you decide if it was worth the risk... I'll tell you my answer... Yes, yes it was.

My brother has had a Spark since they came out, and flown it less than 100 hours. I however, have flown mine over 500.

He was flying around his house...? How is that an "arena you weren't intent on flying in". Oh, and I almost forgot, those dang trees can jump out from anywhere!... he was definitely asking for it.

This was filmed with my MA2, all in Sport mode, not being CAUTIOUS, but you decide if it was worth the risk... I'll tell you my answer... Yes, yes it was.
Yes, excellent video. However a couple of observations. Drone flying isn't my main hobby, scuba diving is. Nonetheless, to complement the mainly underwater footage I shoot at destinations I visit, I do fly my Mavic to add a few scenic shots of islands, beaches, tropical jungle or lakes. Though I rarely fly in Britain, your shot from above a high rise building would be illegal here in the UK, though not presumably in the USA. Our Civil Aviation Code (CAA) states "Never fly closer to built up areas than 150m. Never fly above these areas at any height". Forgive me if I'm wrong but your shot taken above the high rise wouldn't be legal in my country. I do have to say however that your shots taken over water should have little trouble encountering trees or electricity pylons reaching up to grab your drone, especially at dusk and show admirable skill and composition.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Yes, excellent video. However a couple of observations. Drone flying isn't my main hobby, scuba diving is. Nonetheless, to complement the mainly underwater footage I shoot at destinations I visit, I do fly my Mavic to add a few scenic shots of islands, beaches, tropical jungle or lakes. Though I rarely fly in Britain, your shot from above a high rise building would be illegal here in the UK, though not presumably in the USA. Our Civil Aviation Code (CAA) states "Never fly closer to built up areas than 150m. Never fly above these areas at any height". Forgive me if I'm wrong but your shot taken above the high rise wouldn't be legal in my country. I do have to say however that your shots taken over water should have little trouble encountering trees or electricity pylons reaching up to grab your drone, especially at dusk and show admirable skill and composition.
I would love to be a diver.

I build boats though. Not so fun.

I appreciate the kind words. It's taken quite some time to fly like that, but I'm always trying to one up myself.

I understand about the different Regulations.

I wasn't trying to sound "a-holeish" if it came off that way

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
each person who flies a drone ,does so in their own way,and if people choose to put their drones in situations that are very likely to lead to a crash ,then that is their prerogative to do so,
the issue with that is when doing so , they then put others at risk from their actions

I would love to be a diver.

I build boats though. Not so fun.

I appreciate the kind words. It's taken quite some time to fly like that, but I'm always trying to one up myself.

I understand about the different Regulations.

I wasn't trying to sound "a-holeish" if it came off that way
No offense taken. Living in Florida I would've thought that would have been ideal a place to learn to dive if you'd a mind to. Was in Miami in January before covid-19 struck on the way to the Bahamas for 10 days scuba diving with Tiger, Great Hammerheads and a few other species. Wanted to take my Mavic to do aerial shots of sharks waiting at the stern of our boat to be fed but Bahamian authorities wanted 50% value of the drone left with their customs to make sure I didn't sell it at a cheap rate to a local. As if I would!! This isn't the forum to post my u/w stuff to, not even video I shot of me being butted in the chest by a 14 footer investigating me whilst snorkelling in the Philippines a couple of years ago!

Last edited:
  • Wow
No offense taken. Living in Florida I would've thought that would have have been ideal a place to learn to dive if you'd a mind to. Was in Miami in January before covid-19 struck on the way to the Bahamas for 10 days scuba diving with Tiger, Great Hammerheads and a few other species. Wanted to take my Mavic to do aerial shots of sharks waiting at the stern of our boat to be fed but Bahamian authorities wanted 50% value of the drone left with their customs to make sure I didn't sell it at a cheap rate to a local. As if I would!! This isn't the forum to post my u/w stuff to, not even video I shot of me being butted in the chest by a 14 footer investigating me whilst snorkelling in the Philippines a couple of years ago!
I'd love to see that video!

And yeah, my dad is certified, my best friend is certified, and he's trying to convince me to do the same.

I know how to dive, but never thought of it as a profession.

Actually, in the last couple days I've been informed of multiple professions I had long forgotten about. I've been needing a "change of pace" and liking all the input lately.

Have a great day!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I'd love to see that video!

And yeah, my dad is certified, my best friend is certified, and he's trying to convince me to do the same.

I know how to dive, but never thought of it as a profession.

Actually, in the last couple days I've been informed of multiple professions I had long forgotten about. I've been needing a "change of pace" and liking all the input lately.

Have a great day!
There are folks who make a profession out of it, as dive instructors for example, but don't expect to make a mint money-wise, just for the fun and to add to life's great experiences.

Nice flying! Very smooth turns and changes in direction flying in Sport Mode while filming. Something new for me to practice.

Nice flying! Very smooth turns and changes in direction flying in Sport Mode while filming. Something new for me to practice.
I never thought being ranked in the top 1000 of the COD Black Ops tournament would do anything for me. Well, here I am years later...

Thank you!

My heart was constantly in my throat for most of that flying though, I'm still human after all. That is still $1000 flying around.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu