DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerk when gimbal at 90 degress

sidwa

Reactions
Hi,

Did anyone notice a jerk and automatic tilt in the gimbal when you move MM2 after turning the gimbal 90 degrees (facing completely downwards). I'm on 1.3.0 and the latest firmware.

The jerk can be seen at 2:24 and 2:30

The gimbal was at it's travel limit, assuming you were flying forward, when the drone tilted to stop the gimbal was unable to compensate for the tilt of the AC. Same with when you started to move backwards after resetting the gimbal to point straight down again.

On an unrelated note, was that another drone flying below you at 2:26?

The gimbal was at it's travel limit, assuming you were flying forward, when the drone tilted to stop the gimbal was unable to compensate for the tilt of the AC. Same with when you started to move backwards after resetting the gimbal to point straight down again.

On an unrelated note, was that another drone flying below you at 2:26?
Thanks for the response. That was a bird gliding at 2:26 (Yes it did seem like a drone)

Not sure if I understand the travel limit correctly. If it's the distance you were referring to, it was just above me horizontally. Also, it wasn't very windy (Maybe ~15 km/hr) and I was moving the drone very slowly.

I have taken a few shots earlier with gimbal pointing 90 degrees downwards and moving forward without any jerk. So I guess that was not an ideal response. Maybe I'm missing something.

From a standing start, gimbal pointed straight down, if you start off the gimbal can compensate for the pitch of the drone as it starts to move forward because the gimbal moves away from the AC body. When you stop suddenly and the AC pitches rearward to "brake" the gimbal movement cannot compensate because it is at the end of it's available movement and on the video it will appear the gimbal has jumped "up"...why it remains there is for DJI to answer. If you very slowly come to a stop the AC will not pitch as far, if at all, and video will remain smooth. The same will happen if you are at a stop and suddenly move in reverse, the gimbal will jump up because there is no further available travel when it is at that limit.

Also be warned, when the gimbal is pointed down at 90 degrees, performance is limited in video mode, unless the AC is set to Sport. This can lead to decreased wind resistance and a blow away. Another DJI mystery feature.

Thanks teeroy for the detailed explanation. Highly appreciated. Also, didnt know about the performance issue, will keep that in mind. thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99