DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Join two hyperlapses together

billllllbo

Reactions
Hello hello!

The idea is to film multiple hyperlapse sequences and then stitch them together to create one seamless video. By cutting the hyperlapse into sections I avoid battery and RC signal limitations since the full flight would be too long to capture in one shot.

The hard part is getting the last frame of Hyperlapse #1 and the first frame of Hyperlapse #2 to match up, so the transition between each is smooth and unnoticeable.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a way to create a flight path using waypoints that I can pause, land, swap batteries and then resume where it left off? Sounds like it might be a good use for the Litchi app, which I've never used.

EDIT: I've seen other people post a similar question but I haven't seen anything about doing a long range distance hyperlapse (12km long) where it would be impossible to set all the waypoints in a single flight.

Flying a Mavic 3 Pro.

Last edited:
The hard part is getting the last frame of Hyperlapse #1 and the first frame of Hyperlapse #2 to match up, so the transition between each is smooth and unnoticeable.
It would be pretty much impossible to match frames of two separate missions. However, there is a way to do this. Instead of butting two hyperlapse segments end-to-end, you would need to capture overlapping segments and then blend them together.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a way to create a flight path using waypoints that I can pause, land, swap batteries and then resume where it left off? Sounds like it might be a good use for the Litchi app, which I've never used.
Yes. You would want to create one "master" mission that includes the entire duration of the hyperlapse you want to capture. Then split that "master" mission into flyable, overlapping segments that you would capture individually then merge them together in post-production.

For example, if your master mission had 20 waypoints, you would split that mission into smaller, overlapping segments such as waypoints 1 to 5, then waypoints 4 to 10, then waypoints 9 to 15, and finally waypoints 14 to 20.

Once flown, each of the individual segments can be brought into Davinci Resolve (that's what I use) as individual image sequences. Then, those sequences can be overlapped appropriately on the timeline.

The waypoint mission tasks are easily accomplished using Litchi. However, they can also be done using DJI Fly's waypoint capability. It is just much more awkward to do using DJI Fly.

It would be pretty much impossible to match frames of two separate missions. However, there is a way to do this. Instead of butting two hyperlapse segments end-to-end, you would need to capture overlapping segments and then blend them together.

Yes. You would want to create one "master" mission that includes the entire duration of the hyperlapse you want to capture. Then split that "master" mission into flyable, overlapping segments that you would capture individually then merge them together in post-production.

For example, if your master mission had 20 waypoints, you would split that mission into smaller, overlapping segments such as waypoints 1 to 5, then waypoints 4 to 10, then waypoints 9 to 15, and finally waypoints 14 to 20.

Once flown, each of the individual segments can be brought into Davinci Resolve (that's what I use) as individual image sequences. Then, those sequences can be overlapped appropriately on the timeline.

The waypoint mission tasks are easily accomplished using Litchi. However, they can also be done using DJI Fly's waypoint capability. It is just much more awkward to do using DJI Fly.
Thank you, that's super helpful. Good point about the overlap between the different missions.

Time to read up on Litchi's waypoint functions.

Litchi gives the option to choose which waypoint the mission starts from, but do you know if there's a setting that tells Litchi to stop the mission after a certain waypoint? I guess it can be done manually if not.

Litchi gives the option to choose which waypoint the mission starts from
That is true.
but do you know if there's a setting that tells Litchi to stop the mission after a certain waypoint?
No, there isn't.
I guess it can be done manually if not.
While it is true that it could be done manually, my preference would be to spend more time planning at the computer and break the mission into segments rather than to start and stop the "master" mission in the field where you have other things to occupy your mind.

That is true.

No, there isn't.

While it is true that it could be done manually, my preference would be to spend more time planning at the computer and break the mission into segments rather than to start and stop the "master" mission in the field where you have other things to occupy your mind.
Thanks again. Now I've got some work to do... Not the easiest shot to pull off but I think it'll be worth it, I've never seen it done before. Would love to see any examples if you, or anyone else has seen any.

Hello hello!

The idea is to film multiple hyperlapse sequences and then stitch them together to create one seamless video. By cutting the hyperlapse into sections I avoid battery and RC signal limitations since the full flight would be too long to capture in one shot.

EDIT: I've seen other people post a similar question but I haven't seen anything about doing a long range distance hyperlapse (12km long) where it would be impossible to set all the waypoints in a single flight.

Flying a Mavic 3 Pro.
Not sure if you can use this piece of information, but Litchi can contain hundreds of waypoints in one mission. It then flies the mission in batches of 99 points. I have flown missions with 174 points. This fact combined with the option of an arbitrary starting point may work for you.

Reactions: John G.
If daylight, time is your enemy as the sun moves. Take account of the delay in between segments and minimize it as much as possible so changes in shadows, etc. don't create too much of a discontinuity when you join them.

Maybe plan to reposition to the next landing location to make the battery change as short as possible. You'll need a "copilot" to transport you so you can continue to give 100% of your attention to the aircraft.

I would think with overlapped segments you’d be able to make the transition almost unnoticeable, using DaVinci or Premiere to align the overlapped frames.
I think you’d be able to land, swap batteries and get back to a reasonably close point to do this.
I’ll be interested to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne