DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

JPG color profiles missing and Pix4D problems with SC

Reactions
Hello everyone!

(Sorry, I am new here, so if any moderators think, that this thread fits another subforum better, please just move it, thank you!)

After having used the Mavic Pro 1 for about two years, I just did my first flight with the M2P and the Smart Controller today.
I cannot judge the image quality yet but I was kind of disappointed and have two major issues.

1)
The D-Log option for JPG images is missing. Now I had to take photogrammetry images with the oversaturated, high contrast JPG engine that cant be flattened enough by reducing the contrast to "-3"
Is there any way to import custom profiles, LUTs, curves or anything else that gives the JPGs that are captured by Pix4D the entire dynamic range?

2)
The Smart Controller constantly fights other apps for control over the camera even when closed:
- First of all, before I start a Pix4D mission or want to return to the DJI app, I manually have to force close the other app because the horrible implementation of Android 7 doesnt allow apps like "KillApps" to run. If I dont kill either Pix4D or the Go4App, only one of them can get the camera feed at all.
- Then, when flying a mission, the camera transmission is horrible. Laggy, blurry, freezes instead of showing a blackscreen after taking a picture.
- And as soon as I switch to the mission map to check the progress, I loose all access to the camera feed, it stays black and if I switch to the DJI app, the mission and the drone both stop.

I now have ordered a used, normal controller and plan on using the Smart Controller only for stills capture and video capture but not for Photogrammetry.

Am I doing anything wrong, what are your takes on all of my issues?
Thanks!

D-Log for JPG makes no sense to me. No savvy.

It makes perfect sense to me: Capture all of the dynamic range so you have free more control over your color in post.
Same with photogrammetry: Since you cannot capture RAW images with the Pix4D-Capture app, you are stuck with what you can get out of your JPGs. And I dont want crushed highlights and shadows to ruin my 3D model.

Of course D-log is only for video.
And RAW is for images(you get all the data that sensor can capture)

Then use Map pilot.
For small fee you can capture in RAW.

I dont have an apple product to use that app with.

Of course D-log is only for video.
And RAW is for images(you get all the data that sensor can capture)

Ive been a professional photographer for more than 10 years now. I know the gist. But you seem to have ignored the contents my two posts entirely.
I use Pix4D capture and this app only lets you capture JPGs. There is no way of capturing RAW images with this photogrammetry mission app at all.
So the only way of getting the entire dynamic range, is to take the same approach as with video recordings: log gamma. And I need a workaround to get this kind of functionality.

Jpeg by definition has already compressed the sensor data into something that appears attractive to most observers. It’s purpose is to avoid having users need to adjust the image to get something satisfactory. The raw format is the opposite. It provides a maximum amount of image information assuming the user will want to use all of this info to create an image to his taste. It sounds as if you should be using that path rather than the jpg one.

virtually all pros use a raw workflow with either video or still images. All pro image editors have raw processors, and video cameras can generate log footage which is generally not true raw, but a very flat low contrast image that can be adjusted to taste.

I really don’t care for DJI’s D-Log video output, but the tiffs it puts in the raw stills works pretty well.

virtually all pros use a raw

Are you really that ignorant? In all three of my posts I clearly and repeatedly stated that I cannot use RAW with the Pix4DCapture app since it doesnt provide that functionality.
And you are now the second guy who wants to tell me, a professional photographer of over 10 years, that RAW is superior to JPG? This is not and never was the question!

I already use RAW for stills capture, but the grid planning app for photogrammetry missions does not allow me to do that.

/rant

All I need is a way to change the JPG picture profile to a more flat gamma curve in order to capture planned photogrammetry missions with enough dynamic range. This is my main question and I am pretty disappointed by people talking down to me about RAW being superior to JPG like I'm an amateur. I already know that. I've known this for ages now.

Coming back to Pix4DCapture: What are your experiences with that app installed on the smart controller? Do you have the same issues with the camera feed not being transmitted properly.

Coming back to Pix4DCapture: What are your experiences with that app installed on the smart controller? Do you have the same issues with the camera feed not being transmitted properly.
With DJI's current installation issues of third party apps on their devices such as the CrystalSky or the Smart Controller I finally skipped that path and saving myself time and headache I simply use either an iOS device or use DJI'S Pilot app.

Reactions: Enlightened Imaging
Hello everyone!

(Sorry, I am new here, so if any moderators think, that this thread fits another subforum better, please just move it, thank you!)

After having used the Mavic Pro 1 for about two years, I just did my first flight with the M2P and the Smart Controller today.
I cannot judge the image quality yet but I was kind of disappointed and have two major issues.

1)
The D-Log option for JPG images is missing. Now I had to take photogrammetry images with the oversaturated, high contrast JPG engine that cant be flattened enough by reducing the contrast to "-3"
Is there any way to import custom profiles, LUTs, curves or anything else that gives the JPGs that are captured by Pix4D the entire dynamic range?

2)
The Smart Controller constantly fights other apps for control over the camera even when closed:
- First of all, before I start a Pix4D mission or want to return to the DJI app, I manually have to force close the other app because the horrible implementation of Android 7 doesnt allow apps like "KillApps" to run. If I dont kill either Pix4D or the Go4App, only one of them can get the camera feed at all.
- Then, when flying a mission, the camera transmission is horrible. Laggy, blurry, freezes instead of showing a blackscreen after taking a picture.
- And as soon as I switch to the mission map to check the progress, I loose all access to the camera feed, it stays black and if I switch to the DJI app, the mission and the drone both stop.

I now have ordered a used, normal controller and plan on using the Smart Controller only for stills capture and video capture but not for Photogrammetry.

Thanks!
I never got Pix4D to run correctly on SC. In fact their support specifically told me SC is NOT supported.
So I bought a used standard controller and use my existing IPad Mini for Pix4D missions.

That makes it a Pix4D problem, not DJI's

How is the fact that you dont have any meaningful control over the JPG engine not DJI's problem? Yes, not supporting RAW is a bad move on Pix4D's part - But DJI also downgraded their Software from the M1P to the M2P. Because the M1P had the D-Log profile for JPGs.
Because even if 95% of the M2P pilots dont use JPGs or only want oversaturated, contrast heavy JPGs - There are still the 5% who know that it was possible to have a more customizable color profile in an older (!!!) drone and actually need that feature.

I never got Pix4D to run correctly on SC. In fact their support specifically told me SC is NOT supported.
So I bought a used standard controller and use my existing IPad Mini for Pix4D missions.

Seems like that is to only way for me to resolve the bugs as well. Sigh, 600€ premium for a controller with a buggy, outdated phone built in. At least it makes stills / video capture more enjoyable than a normal smartphone.

Hello everyone!

1)

2)

Thanks!
I was unfamiliar with Pix4D Capture so I Googled it. It is a Free drone flight planning app for optimal 3D mapping and modeling.
Apparently, it only captures to JPG? Since JPG is a much smaller file than RAW you will have less data to work with. I think I would try out the regular Remote Controller and. set your setting to RAW capture.

Reactions: Thomas B
Had my sc from release date,had to take back cover off, fan was buzzing, fan wires installed crappy was pushing in fan, low grade fan compared to p4p+ controller, Not to get off on a rant myself, What gets me more than anything about the Mavic pro two is the line skipping or whatever it is that buffers that sensor and you can see the difference when you switch between pictures and video huge difference not like the phantom for pro and I still like the mechanical shutter better thanking about the Evo two pro guys

I think I would try out the regular Remote Controller and. set your setting to RAW capture.
It's the Pix4D program that handles that and it doesn't offer any option to capture raw images.
But in mapping, that's not normally considered a big issue.

Reactions: Enlightened Imaging
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S