DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just curious, RTH from negative height with one of the newer drones that offer fancy optimal/little-climb RTHs ?

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
Are you going to be relying on OA to force incremental or gradual climbs to get above the take off point height ?
That assumes the fancy RTH behaviour has been selected.

@Yorkshire_Pud regardless of the height where the home point was recorded ,before you first took off,then the drone will return to that point and using the downwards facing sensors, determine whether it is just going to hover ,a couple of feet above the ground ,or land if it thinks it is safe to do so ,this works the same for whichever type of RTH option you have selected if RTH started at a negative height from the home point ,the drone will climb up using the sensors,when within range of the surface beneath it,and determine its most direct route back to the home point, of course it does require a level of trust by the pilot in the technology,but having done it several times ,it does work ,although it does cause some Butt clenching moments ,as it flies back at quite a speed till it nears home

Never trust on OA during RTH, use standard RTH and set the RTH alt higher than any obstacle.

For example if you are taking off from the middle of a mountain and going down into a valley, set the RTH higher than the highest mountain around.

Using the fancy RTH is a guarantee that the drone will fly into a tree/building/bridge/cable/whatever.

@Yorkshire_Pud regardless of the height where the home point was recorded ,before you first took off,then the drone will return to that point and using the downwards facing sensors, determine whether it is just going to hover ,a couple of feet above the ground ,or land if it thinks it is safe to do so ,this works the same for whichever type of RTH option you have selected
Yep agree with all that, though the HP need not be recorded before take off and even when it is it is quite frequently rerecorded just after lift off, as evidenced by the appropriate LED flash sequence.
if RTH started at a negative height from the home point ,the drone will climb up using the sensors, when within range of the surface beneath it, and determine its most direct route back to the home point
That was the gist of my question and your are suggesting an incremental or gradual climb, THANKS !
But I would question" when within range of the surface beneath it", unless the trigger height is quite high.
The reason for my doubt is that I can get my minis and mavic 2 to fly upslope using the downward looking sensors but the horizontal speed needs to be low, otherwise the system can't react quickly enough.
If DJI decreased the reaction time then perhaps it is now fast enough to use the downward looking sensors for this purpose but I suspect that the climb would be caused by the forward looking OA sensors rather than the downward looking sensors
of course it does require a level of trust by the pilot in the technology,but having done it several times ,it does work ,although it does cause some Butt clenching moments ,as it flies back at quite a speed till it nears home
I can well imagine it would be a severe clenching, I've done that a time or two when playing with the mavic 2's OA . lol

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
Never trust on OA during RTH, use standard RTH and set the RTH alt higher than any obstacle.

For example if you are taking off from the middle of a mountain and going down into a valley, set the RTH higher than the highest mountain around.

Using the fancy RTH is a guarantee that the drone will fly into a tree/building/bridge/cable/whatever.
I doubt I would trust the fancy RTH even if I had it but I was still curious as to what it would do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe