DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kite lines

Peter Brazil

Reactions
Hello from Brazil,
Today I ran into a situation which I had not taken into consideration while flying.
I was walking out to a spot where I like to take off, as it is wide open, clear and high above everything.
While scanning the sky to see cloud movement and where the vultures were gathering (updraft), I happened to notice a kite line crossing above where I was. It was stuck on top of a tall tree and went some 500ft until another tall tree. Kite flying is a very very popular activity in Brazil, and they now use something called a Chilean Line which cuts through plastic, rubber, helmets, etc... has caused quite a few deaths among bikers and motorbikers (beware of that if anyone comes to Brazil to ride).
I was just wondering if any of the big drones would detect this. My MM for sure cannot detect anything, except when close to its belly.
I am also sure this kite line would tangle on the props and down my bird.
Anyone ever have such an experience?

Keep that in mind if you fly in Brazil, be it drone or paraglider etc...

Cheers and you all have a great week

Reactions: Torcan
I don't think even the bigger drones would see that. Power lines, telephone cables are much larger in diameter and it seems like a lot of drones are attracted to them, almost like a death wish.

I guess it is just be observant and aware of your surroundings before flying. Glad you spotted it before finding out the hard way.

" string cured with glue and pulverized glass, giving it a knife-like edge "

" In September a 19-year-old university student was decapitated as he became entangled in a kite string that crossed the road where he was riding his motorcycle "

Kite Line will not be detected. I've had several incidents with fairly small tree branches that the sensors didn't pick up and they are many times larger than any kite line.

The collision avoidance will not "see" kite line, even thicker single line.

I've flown drones since the Phantom 2 Vision. I've flown kites for 20 years now. I do fly at local kite festivals and understand kites and drones very well. I was in CA and flying on the beach. Last shot was to fly down the beach a ways. What I did not realize was that I was around 40%. I started to come back. Was around 30% and still needed to fly into the kite fields. I had flown straight up and out but now needed to fly above the kite lines and straight back down. I did not realize that this was going to be more difficult. I was now at 20% battery. I was cancelling RTH and now was very worried that at lower battery that the drone would/might start to land where it was, on its own. I have experience but made a miscalculation and was in a tough spot. I did manage to get the drone over and down pretty quick but I must admit, I peed myself a little.
DJI_0059.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
In my earlier days, I flew a Bell 47 through an unseen kite string while landing behind a gas station. The string wrapped itself around the swash plate and control rods on either side of the mast.
I was really [Admin Edited], if that had been a strong fishing line it could have bent and jammed the control rods which would have resulted me falling out of the sky. I was three miles from an airport so the kite had no business flying there.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my earlier days, I flew a Bell 47 through an unseen kite string while landing behind a gas station. The string wrapped itself around the swash plate and control rods on either side of the mast.
I was really [Admin Edited], if that had been a strong fishing line it could have bent and jammed the control rods which would have resulted me falling out of the sky. I was three miles from an airport so the kite had no business flying there.

Glad it wasn't stronger line. I know we flew some "Endurance" kites when I was a kid that had some very high strength fishing line at insanely high altitudes.

Reactions: Condor
So even kites get regulated when the go off the hook:
"This year cities designated "safe" areas for kite lovers. The safety association is campaigning to ban cured string and has held public burnings of heaps of the dangerous kite string. Competitors in professional contests now have to use lightweight cotton string that breaks easily and is cured with ground quartz, which is allegedly safer than glass."

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at a flight school once where most of the training planes had vertical lines in the leading edges cutting right thru the paint. (one of the first items on the preflight) Lot's of kite flying off the departure end of the airport was to blame in part..I also think that bored flight instructors were doing their part.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots