DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Knowledge Test & Insurance

Maverick88

Reactions
Helping international filmmakers with drone op at Hollywood Sign (Los Angeles, CA). Long story short they have already paid the fees and gone through proper channels and want to do it right. We all know pilots and other filmmakers sometimes just film without permits and hope for the best so i'm happy to hear this team is doing it right.

Unfortunately, they were delayed relevant answers/info from Film LA office and in a rush to get all the drone paperwork turned in on time. I've helped to the best of my ability so far. But needed some assistance with the following:

1.) How do I re-take the knowledge test? (already part-107 certified) It's not super clear on FAA website and i've been researching online and apparently some pilots take the wrong test, due to the confusing nature of the directions or just lack thereof.
-- The only (2) options I could find are:​
knowledge test.png
OR
PSI test.png

Which one is correct? I know I could contact my local FSDO but it's Sunday and no one is available to talk until tomorrow. Also don't want to waste time/money (even though filmmakers agreed to cover all testing fees if applicable) and want to give them correct info. I'm wondering if there is enough time to finish this before their shoot date of 9/11/2024.

2.) Since they are filming at Hollywood Sign they need permission beforehand and I'm not sure how to do that. The directions they were given says it can be LAANC app or FAA website, but the FAA website is confusing enough and even when i searched it did not help.

Is there a reputable LAANC app I can use that captures a screenshot of authorization BEFORE flight date? (I know you can do it via DJI while on-site)

3.) Insurance: Film LA also requires COI + Additional insurance info. They advise using: KwikComply -- but it's not straightforward and i'm unsure how to provide the proper insurance.

--

This international crew has the right idea to get the proper authorizations, Film LA just doesn't seem as forthright in giving them clear and concise directions. If anyone has experience in these matters please comment or DM me. I was only told all this today and they want to shoot on 9/11/24

I want to do my best to help them out but also be very honest in case it won't be possible by that date.

The first link on the FAA site is the correct one - you need the Pt. 107 sUAS recurrent for non-61 Pilots if your Pt. 107 certificate has expired. It's an online exam and it's almost hard to fail to be quite honest. If you miss a question they show which one and let you offer up a new answer until you get it right to pass. You are not required to take a class or go to PSI for an exam.

Reactions: Cafguy
How do I re-take the knowledge test? (already part-107 certified)
You need to take the Recurrent exam
2.) Since they are filming at Hollywood Sign they need permission beforehand and I'm not sure how to do that. The directions they were given says it can be LAANC app or FAA website, but the FAA website is confusing enough and even when i searched it did not help.
Submit an Airspace Clearance through the FAA drone zone
Insurance: Film LA also requires COI + Additional insurance info. They advise using: KwikComply --
There are several insurance companies out there. Do your due diligence and look for the best rates as well reviews

Reactions: sarahb
post number 4 has some great info for you. Today is the 8TH and you want to film on the 11th. 9-11?
You are not gonna make that.
You are going to need special permission and IF you can manage that. you will need to present your filming schedule to the film Dept. They are going to want you to post guards.
The sign is in Griffith Park and that park is a no fly zone.
Late EDIT I forgot to add the people at the Film Dept are very helpful and friendly the BEST advice I can give you is speak to them about your concerns.

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lakemichmav2