DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lake Tahoe Drone Flight Restrictions

Chaosrider

Reactions
Are there any standing special restrictions for flying drones at Lake Tahoe?

Thx.

Thx.
All Nevada/California state parks prohibit drones, There are 2 airports to consider also. I was in South Lake Tahoe in March, and it seemed that every beach I visited had a no drones sign posted. My solution was to hike north on the East side early in the morning to a secluded spot to fly. While not impossible to fly there, it is challenging to find an area to fly from.

Cheers!

I dont think that's correct, drones in CA are allowed in state parks, (unless otherwise specified) but not in State Wilderness Areas, Natural Preserves, and Cultural Preserves.

"Drones are currently allowed in State Parks, State Beaches, State Historic Parks, State Recreational Areas, and State Vehicular Recreation Areas except where prohibited by a District Superintendent"

The key word is District Superintendent. Most people have never even heard about that, they just check local city and fed and then fly. So it's kind of tricky. In Orange County for example, I saw a couple You Tubers say it's fine, and even post how to legally fly there, but they forgot to check the District Superintendent order, they just checked Aloft, LAANCE contacted the city which told there where they could fly. but However only the city's regulation, not the District which overrides that. So you cant fly (land or launch) in any beaches or parks in Orange County Calif even if the city allows it.

I dont think that's correct, drones in CA are allowed in state parks, (unless otherwise specified) but not in State Wilderness Areas, Natural Preserves, and Cultural Preserves.

"Drones are currently allowed in State Parks, State Beaches, State Historic Parks, State Recreational Areas, and State Vehicular Recreation Areas except where prohibited by a District Superintendent"

The key word is District Superintendent. Most people have never even heard about that, they just check local city and fed and then fly. So it's kind of tricky. In Orange County for example, I saw a couple You Tubers say it's fine, and even post how to legally fly there, but they forgot to check the District Superintendent order, they just checked Aloft, LAANCE contacted the city which told there where they could fly. but However only the city's regulation, not the District which overrides that. So you cant fly (land or launch) in any beaches or parks in Orange County Calif even if the city allows it.
So overall, it's fuzzy.

Is there a single source that collects all of these various entity rules in one place?

Douglas County, where I live in Nevada, has no restrictions on flying drones in County parks. I called and asked them.

Does DJI have anything to say about it in terms of their own restrictions?

Thx!

Interestingly, some wonderful places nearby are open to flying, like the Desolation Wilderness, at least according to B4UFLY. Almost all places under the control of USDA, which includes National Forests, seem to be open to flying.
Yes, of course a place no one has ever heard of won't get as much social media attention as Yosemite Valley, but that's life, I guess. :) There's still a lot of great scenery that's open.

B4UFLY is not that complete, I would not rely on it by itself. It's only one layer of the puzzle. City, State and County regulations are often not on there.

Also for Tahoe, there is actually a FaceBook drone group. You might join them for more specifics of where to fly.

B4UFLY is not that complete, I would not rely on it by itself. It's only one layer of the puzzle. City, State and County regulations are often not on there.

Also for Tahoe, there is actually a FaceBook drone group. You might join them for more specifics of where to fly.
Didn't say it was complete, but it DOES cover all areas controlled by the FAA. We should all know by now, at least anyone whose even casually read these boards, that control of access to, and takeoff from, private property, including parks and state lands, is a different matter.

And B4UFLY is complete for what it does - show controlled and restricted air space. Please don't confuse a new-comer by implying something is incomplete when it is not.

Thx.
The short answer is no. You have to watch out for the airport. When in doubt simply ask. I've been able to fly in every beach I've gone including Zephyr Cove Beach below.

Attachments

• PSX_20220414_115609.jpg
    PSX_20220414_115609.jpg
    9.6 MB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13