landing gear for Mini 2 - Feedback welcome

laurent45

Reactions
Hi Mini 2 pilots
I am about to buy the Mini 2.
I had a question about landing leg extension, as I could see mainly 3 types:
- 4 small separate extensions you put at each leg
- 2 "ski" that you : 1 on the 2 legs of right and 1 on the 2 legs of left
- 2 "ski" fixed together to a plastic plate that you clip on the bottom of the Mini 2
I know that it will make the Mini 2 weight over 250g
But :
- what is the best one ?
- does it alter the flying capabilities of the Mini 2 ? and can provoke main issues ?

All feedback are welcome.

NB : I need them for landing, because I have a pad for take-off, but I am sure to be able to land it back on it :)

I got the one with the fixed legs, skid type. Frankly, fairly useless. One of the coolest features of the Mini 2 is the ability to hand launch and recover. The skids are not really long enough to keep you from trimming grass in a more rural setting. So if your going to land it, get one of the small foldable pads. They at least keep the blades away from vegetation. The pads have the added advantage as it offers more contrast to the visual system so it can determine the home point landing spot better. I am likely to be vending my skids and a whole host of "seemed like a good idea," accessories eventually.

because I have a pad for take-off, but I am sure to be able to land it back on it
You will have no trouble guiding the Mini 2 to the pad. It will wait for you to make the necessary corrections. The Mini 2 is very easy to fly. In most cases, if one gets disoriented or something, just let go of the sticks and she will return to level, hold altitude and maintain a stationary hover. I say in most cases, but if one flys the Mini 2 in to an obstacle, letting go of the sticks won't prevent a collision.?

Opinions vary on the necessity of gear extenders. I use a DIY set flying around the property because I do not always land where I take off. The added height keeps the gimbal and camera out of the gravel and some of the grass. The DIY extenders also help with orientation in some scenarios.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fly927by
I am using this clipon landing gear on my Mini 2. My experience are very positive. They raise the Mini 2 up by just the right amount, are easy to take on and off, makes the Mini 2 easier to grab by hand for takeoff and landing and will not make the weight of the Mini 2 rise above 250 g. And they are cheap: Only USD 7.99 from Amazon. Only drawback is that they have to be removed when folding the Mini 2 to stow it in the bag. I keep mine on most of the time anyway. Highly recommended!!!

DJI Mini 2 Landing Gear.jpg

Hi Mini 2 pilots
I am about to buy the Mini 2.
I had a question about landing leg extension, as I could see mainly 3 types:
- 4 small separate extensions you put at each leg
- 2 "ski" that you : 1 on the 2 legs of right and 1 on the 2 legs of left
- 2 "ski" fixed together to a plastic plate that you clip on the bottom of the Mini 2
I know that it will make the Mini 2 weight over 250g
But :
- what is the best one ?
- does it alter the flying capabilities of the Mini 2 ? and can provoke main issues ?

All feedback are welcome.

NB : I need them for landing, because I have a pad for take-off, but I am sure to be able to land it back on it :)
Go for the ski type that clicks to the body of the Mini 2. This type takes the weight off the arms of the drone and could/will lead to less problems in the future. I seldom fold my Mini 2 these days so I don't need to take it off. The ski type is also good for hand take off and landing. Finally there is no noticeable changes to the flight characteristics of the Mini 2 with the ski attached.

Landing gear legs won't even keep the gimbal out of most lawns and they're also tippy. Starting your video before takeoff will verify how useless they are for keeping the gimbal free of debris. just pick a smooth T/O position..maybe a large rock or tree stump....and then hand land. Other opinions may differ.

they're also tippy
I suppose this depends on the style of extender. I have had zero tipping issues with mine. No surface I have landed on has come close to inducing a tip over, and some of those surfaces have been fairly irregular. Every bit as stable on its feet as it is without extenders, and may even be more stable on some surfaces. The exception I have found is on a deck with fairly wide board spacing. In my case, the rear extenders can fall into the space. But of course, without the extenders, the front legs can also fall into this space, so I consider that a draw.?
As far as fine debris they may not be that helpful, however, when it comes to strikes by rock/gravel or other large debris, they do help protect the gimbal and downward sensors.
As for grass, it helps some with the blades, but depends entirely on the length of the grass. In any case, the blades will strike the grass where it is thinner and more pliable than without the extenders, but yes, best to avoid it all together when possible.
With or without extenders the Mini 2 is no ATV though, so best to plan landing/takeoff areas prior to flight, or if one is comfortable with it, hand launch/land.
As with all options, to each their own. There is no right or wrong answer, simply what is right or wrong for the individual.

Last edited:
I threw away my useless extensions. Found I liked the original setup best. Like many, I wasted money on junk add-ons when new. I only hand catch so unnecessary. Do not buy floats! Don't work and dangerous. A good add-on is a strobe light bright enough for daylight and maybe lenses for filming. GL

I am really new to the Mini 2 ..I use a piece of a rubber mat to take off from and to land on.....after a few practice landings you should be able to put this thing down with a decent amount of precision....I am not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about the 250 gram weight restriction.....unless you are operating under 107 regulations .I had a Phantom before ...they weigh almost 21/2 pounds...you do not register all of your drones...what you do is go onto the FAA site and fill out a form and pay them $5 by credit card.....valid for 3 years....then print up your registry certificate...which has your assigned # on it...I just used a label maker for a sticker to put on the chopper...you use the same # for any drone you may own...up to 55 pounds and under the exception for recreational flying...it does seem that in the near future there will be a safety test

As with all options, to each their own. There is no right or wrong answer, simply what is right or wrong for the individual.
I had my phantom turn upside down more than once. Could have been my skill level to blame..I used to practice landing it in the atti mode and you can induce a lot of turbulence that way. I'm more concerned with the gimbal and I always got a lot of gimbal warnings in the grass so I landed on a cabinet cover and if it slid to the edge over it would go.
Hand landings and take off's were big with the early sparks because they came without a controller. That got me hooked and I learned to like that method best.

Reactions: DJayI
I am using this clipon landing gear on my Mini 2. My experience are very positive. They raise the Mini 2 up by just the right amount, are easy to take on and off, makes the Mini 2 easier to grab by hand for takeoff and landing and will not make the weight of the Mini 2 rise above 250 g. And they are cheap: Only USD 7.99 from Amazon. Only drawback is that they have to be removed when folding the Mini 2 to stow it in the bag. I keep mine on most of the time anyway. Highly recommended!!!

View attachment 128297
I also use this clip on landing pad. It's very easy to use and very helpful.works very well

Reactions: DJayI and Grazuncle
I use the "ski" type. Easy off and on and elevates it enough(I don't like having the gimbal so close to the ground). If I fly at night, I got a Arc V on top, and 2 ulanzi"s on the supports arms for the ski's, one for each side. Kinda overkill but you can definitely see that sucker up there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost