DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

landing pad missed by drone.

R M Ford

Reactions
I am new at flying drones. I have a whole 45 minutes of flight time logged so far. LOL. When I signal the drone to RTH. it does. But, It always lands one to two feet from the landing pad it took off from. Is there something I can do to address this?

I am new at flying drones. I have a whole 45 minutes of flight time logged so far. LOL. When I signal the drone to RTH. it does. But, It always lands one to two feet from the landing pad it took off from. Is there something I can do to address this?

Fly it onto the landing pad manually. It's a basic flight skill you need to have. You don't want to depend on RTH to do your landings.

EDIT: Not applicable to Mini 3 Pro.
(You may not be climbing straight up after takeoff and hovering long enough for the drone to take the photos it
needs.)

Last edited:
That's completely normal and the kind of accuracy you can expect from consumer grade GPS.
If you want to let the drone RTH and land itself, you need to make sure the area is clear of obstructions and suitable for an autolanding.
Otherwise you can manually land anywhere you choose to.

Fly it onto the landing pad manually. It's a basic flight skill you need to have. You don't want to depend on RTH to do your landings.

(You may not be climbing straight up after takeoff and hovering long enough for the drone to take the photos it needs.)
Thanks for the info.!

(You may not be climbing straight up after takeoff and hovering long enough for the drone to take the photos it needs.)
Does the Mini 3 have the Precision Landing feature that needs this?
There's no mention of it in the latest manual.

That is normal on the Mini 3 Pro. Mine missed the spot once for about 12FT. Pretty bad... Not surprise me. As @Meta4 mentioned, the mini 3 lacks of precision landing.

The Air 2S is so capable much better than the Mini 3 Pro and people are selling them like Junk price. I cant understand.

Last edited:
I was shocked to find out the accuracy of consumer GPS is only 5 meters. Plus, it gets worse if you are around buildings and wires.
The Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 3 and also the Air 2S are pretty accurate. RTK drones using the base stations or service are the most amazing ones as far as I know.

Reactions: mereflyer
I tried to do a waypoint mission, down a street around 30 feet wide, and lined with many buildings, and with many wires, and I couldn't do it.

On take off from landing pad go straight up 25 - 30' and hold for about 5 seconds. Should solve your problem unless you have compass or GPS issues.

They are only as (in)accurate as any other DJI drone using consumer GPS ... usually within +/- 2.5 metres, but can be up to 5 metres.
Not sure what your method is, but my RTH is within inches from take off, not feet. That's all my DJI drones, Spark, Mini, Mini 2, Pro and Pro 2.

On take off from landing pad go straight up 25 - 30' and hold for about 5 seconds. Should solve your problem unless you have compass or GPS issues.
This will not take any effect with the Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro. That procedure is for precision landing and they lacks of that feature.

I never say they can land all the time off by 10-12 FT. They some time land on the spot. But it can be very off.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
This will not take any effect with the Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro. That procedure is for precision landing and they lacks of that feature.

I never say they can land all the time off by 10-12 FT. They some time land on the spot. But it can be very off.
I must have got a lemon 🍋. My Mini 3 Pro seems to be hitting the mark pretty good on RTH. The times I notice it being off the mark occasionally by a meter or two are during extremely windy conditions. No matter what, I always bring it in manually for safety sake. I did the same with my Air 2S as well. Just like the range issues that dog us…RTH issues seem to be dependent upon your areas signal characteristics too. Maybe I’m wrong. Just a thought though.
🇨🇦👍

As a new pilot, this may help you when landing manually…under “Camera”, enable crosshairs and when landing, point your camera at 90 degrees from 50’ or so altitude (adjust as needed). The 3 will land where the crosshairs intersect.
Note: It’s quicker if you assign the 90 degree gimbal movement to your fn button.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab