DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legal to train on a thermal for S&R looking for deer in Pennsylvania?

I don't reside in your state but I can tell you my opinion when it comes to all 50 states and the relevant organization when it comes to game, hunting or fishing, natural resources, and/or wildlife management. Whatever you want to call them, DNR, park rangers, wildlife deputies, game wardens, whatever. They have darn near unlimited powers and unlimited discretion and I'll leave it at that. You would be taking your chances. ;)

NO Here is a little article out of Pennsylvania I think you should read:
I've read that article and that's not what I'm doing. I'm only flying the thermal to learn the functions of the thermal for Search and Rescue. I'm not hunting deer to kill and I'm not even practicing during hunting season. I know you can't do it to recover or assist in recovering a wounded deer. It's a different situation.

Reactions: Cafguy
I'm not hunting deer to kill and I'm not even practicing during hunting season. I know you can't do it to recover or assist in recovering a wounded deer. It's a different situation.
As long as you are not Actively searching for wildlife, You are legal.
If you are going to be " Searching" for a Deer with your thermal Camera -That's another thing altogether. You cannot "Spot" Wildlife with an aircraft ( weather that animal is Wounded or Healthy does not matter).
You state you would like to "practice" search and rescue by "searching" for Wildlife' (Deer). Under Your States Fish and game Laws. You would be "Spotting" for Wildlife with a Drone. That is not permitted without hard to get permits.
You State that you are not hunting nor killing these animals only "practicing" on them.
I would tell you that is a nice Defense for your Attorney to present in court, BUT It wont get you out of being fined and possibly jailed.
Now remember when you said you wanted to look for deer with your thermal camera to practice....
Get that out of your head! That is not a legal INTENT. What your INTENT should be is: To go flying around and taking a few thermal images here and there (If a deer happens to come along and you want to stick around and film for a min..So be it. No law broken. Its all about Intent. So if they ask you what you are doing there at least give them something legal.
Welcome to the world of legal "Definitions".

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
I've read that article and that's not what I'm doing. I'm only flying the thermal to learn the functions of the thermal for Search and Rescue. I'm not hunting deer to kill and I'm not even practicing during hunting season. I know you can't do it to recover or assist in recovering a wounded deer. It's a different situation.
The opinions of unqualified forum lawyers are worth what you pay for them.
Don't overthink it.
Just go flying at night and see what you find.

Just go flying at night and see what you find.

1722573268649.jpeg
This particular Specimen is found around Most forested areas of the United States. It is a Keen hunter and its bite can cause tremendous pain and Financial hardship. The lovely colors on this animals coat will depend on the part of the country you may reside. If seen you should smile and answer all questions with a Yes mam or Yes sir.

Reactions: mavic3usa
View attachment 176673
This particular Specimen is found around Most forested areas of the United States. It is a Keen hunter and its bite can cause tremendous pain and Financial hardship. The lovely colors on this animals coat will depend on the part of the country you may reside. If seen you should smile and answer all questions with a Yes mam or Yes sir.
This is what I was saying. Their type is not your ordinary law enforcement officer.

Reactions: Cafguy
Just out of interest, if venison isn't the aim: what's so special about "S&R" FLIR-ing for a deer?

Why don't you do what's done in the UK to train police tracker/takedown dogs in forest environments... voluntary human quarry given a half-hour head start. That's a bit more realistic for genuine search & rescue practise.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakobw1998