DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Less Range will be returning.

UAVquadman

Reactions
having flown 2 different Mavic 3 drones before the Classic version came out. When flying to the exact same location, not once did I get such a weak signal like I just did with the Classic (let down version), when flying to the exact same location with the exact same controller!

It is a Mavic 3 "lite" afterall, but it is most likely due to the controller. I assume you are not using the RC Pro.
update.... Not fixed! but I will know for sure soon.... just bad luck that the external antenna connection setup. the connectors are exposed to rain at times so just taking them out and back in a few times worked. I also have some contact cleaner that I use but maybe I should use some of the outdoor silicone gel to keep moister out. And a contact cleaner that has a special oil in it also.

Last edited:
It is a Mavic 3 "lite" afterall, but it is most likely due to the controller. I assume you are not using the RC Pro.
It has been well shown with the Mini 3 Pro already, that the signal quality of RC with screen compared to the other RC-N1 is not really different. More people struggle to get the alignment right with the external antennae missing.

More significant is the level of CE to FCC and sadly to some extent how the drone is facing the remote as the Mini 3 Pro shows a weaker signal with the front.

Not sure how that applies to the Mavic 3 but the RC is defnitely a nice product.

to some extent how the drone is facing the remote
So I'm not just imagining things, then. Good to know. I shoot a lot of spherical panoramas and have noticed that when far away the signal seemed to come and go as the drone rotated. I thought it was atmospherics or something but it totally makes sense if the facing of the drone is a factor.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Facing the drone has always been the way to go. LOS with any
of them.👍

having flown 2 different Mavic 3 drones before the Classic version came out. When flying to the exact same location, not once did I get such a weak signal like I just did with the Classic (let down version), when flying to the exact same location with the exact same controller!
I bought Alientech's power amplified antenna (the Duo) for the M3. After installing it on the standard remote, I did a range test over the ocean. It made a distance of 8 miles out and 8 miles back. No or very little wind was present to interfere with the test. I turned around at 8 miles only because I was worried about the battery dying. I was in sport mode the whole time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cymruflyer
So I'm not just imagining things, then. Good to know. I shoot a lot of spherical panoramas and have noticed that when far away the signal seemed to come and go as the drone rotated. I thought it was atmospherics or something but it totally makes sense if the facing of the drone is a factor.
No, you are not. The Mini 3 Pro has a simpler antennae system in the body than some of the bigger drones, so rotating is going to lead to some degradation of signal unfortunately. Not by a huge amount but sometimes noticeable with the video feed when far away or conditions are challenging.

No, you are not. The Mini 3 Pro has a simpler antennae system in the body than some of the bigger drones, so rotating is going to lead to some degradation of signal unfortunately. Not by a huge amount but sometimes noticeable with the video feed when far away or conditions are challenging.
The difference between 2 and 3 bars of signal strength sometimes, at the limits of where I could see it and with trees in the way. (Not a contradiction: I was using the gaps between branches as sights, so I could look down, look and and easily find it.)

I bought Alientech's power amplified antenna (the Duo) for the M3. After installing it on the standard remote, I did a range test over the ocean. It made a distance of 8 miles out and 8 miles back. No or very little wind was present to interfere with the test. I turned around at 8 miles only because I was worried about the battery dying. I was in sport mode the whole time.
As a HAM I have never really understood this. Even you CB'ers had an amplifier that "goes in the line" between your radio and your antenna. On "the side of things" makes no sense to me.

As a HAM I have never really understood this. Even you CB'ers had an amplifier that "goes in the line" between your radio and your antenna. On "the side of things" makes no sense to me.
I've heard a lot of pilots saying this as well. I think the alientech powered mod increases output, but also amplifies the outgoing signal of the drone to the RC. The outgoing drone signal is to weak on it's own using a non-modified RC, but the modified RC takes even the weakest outgoing signal from the drone and amplifies it before sending to the RC.

Update.... it's Not fixed and going back.... I think it's defective. It goes from 5 bars to 3 bars then back again to 5... I have gone 21 thousand feet out myself with the RC-N1 But this was line of site and only about 4 thousand feet and it's so obvious to me now for sure it's going back! Controlled conditions!

that Mavic 3 Classic sample that I got is defective or they changed the chipset! The new Mavic 3 (telephoto version) that is a recent build, was just test flown on its first flight.... a keeper this time! and no camera tilt on the horizon out of the box!! And NO range issues!

glad you guys are all keeping your drones in view, tho they must be a bit hard to see 8 miles away ...
Not if ya got good eyes 😀
And on the internet 😉

Reactions: Amichael
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan