DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lesson learned: Don't push the rubber SD card cover in too hard

Dangerly

Reactions
I few times now, I've gotten up in the air without seeing the warning that I'm recording on internal memory and not the SD card. This was after I was sure I put the SD card in securely and closed the rubber cover. I should have seen the warning - I know - but I must have just dismissed it. Why wouldn't my SD card stay put?

I just figured out what was happening. Turns out if you push that rubber cover on too hard, you actually pop the card out only you can't see that it's just popped out, because the cover's in the way. Has this happened to you too?

What drone?
With the Mavic 2 P/Z I find there is a knack to it, you put the tethered end home first and then the other end. From memory brute force did not guarantee success.
Take a close look at the ends etc. of the cover, possibly with a magnifying glass, and see if there are any small lugs etc, that are meant to go home.

Never had this issue with an air2. I think they may have learned on this. So also interested in what drone lol.

I close those ports always.

Reactions: Droniac
put the SD card in securely and closed the rubber cover.
Hasn't been a problem for several months since the SD card cover holding piece broke away from Mavic 2 Pro. Intended to replace it when time was found but flew without it and found not necessary. There is no apparent control issues. Therefore not bothering to replace cover.

I use micro sd cards on lots of my devices and dislike where they are placed on most of them. I usually only take them out only over a sheet of white paper in case they fall out of my fingertips. And I also always worry about that tiny cover on the MP2. One of these days these days I expect it will break off, even though I do exactly what PhiliusFoggg has suggested above.

On my Air 2, I have to use the corner of the mSD adapter to even get it to disengage. For whatever reason, it's always been difficult to get in or out...which is fine now that I have a system down. Also the wraps that go over that little cover seem like it always wants to try and lift off whenever I open that flap. It hasn't yet but the edges are roughed up a bit.

Zero problems with any of my Mavic SD cards or slot covers. I pull the card after every flight for download. I didn't like the card location on my phantom3

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I have had the SD card slip off my thumbnail and shoot out of the drone like 20 feet before when it didn't click in. I am sure that this has happen to a few of you.
That spring mechanism has got some punch to it. :pNow I am always sure to face the opening towards the ground or my chest when removing or inserting the card. I don't want to lose anymore cards. :)

I have had the SD card slip off my thumbnail and shoot out of the drone like 20 feet before when it didn't click in. I am sure that this has happen to a few of you.
That spring mechanism has got some punch to it. :pNow I am always sure to face the opening towards the ground or my chest when removing or inserting the card. I don't want to lose anymore cards. :)
Yup can relate. I've had one to fly across the room and behind a cabinet. Lot's of work to retrieve the rascal ... sure will cause you to learn what-not-to-do LOL

Reactions: Drone Master
I too use my thumbnail and make sure it is pointed at my chest....precautionary but never had a problem. Touch wood!

Funny this gets raised. Never had a problem with my Spark but a number of times with my new MA2 I have struggled to get the lugs back properly. Will watch out for the mini SD card being dislodged when making sure the cover is properly closed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan