DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Liability assurance in Canada

MikeSkril

Reactions
Hi,

I was looking around a little, calling a few assurance companies but no one has drone coverage. I found a few companies covering commercial drones (like $500/year), but nothing for personal drones.

Anybody flying in Canada who can suggest an assurance company for personal drone usage?

Thanks!

I bought my drone insurance off
Drone Insurance Depot
Drone Insurance Depot

They gave me 3 quote prices plus the option for drone replacement coverage but I opted out because it wasn't worth it for a drone worth lower than 5k, even less than 1k if you are using USD.

$355 for the year for minimum $100k liability.

I bought my drone insurance off
Drone Insurance Depot
Drone Insurance Depot

They gave me 3 quote prices plus the option for drone replacement coverage but I opted out because it wasn't worth it for a drone worth lower than 5k, even less than 1k if you are using USD.

$355 for the year for minimum $100k liability.

hmm seems people only buy insurance for the coverage of drone damage, the liability insurance mandate the govt wants to put in place (it's not right now) is for covering things you may hit, people, cars, houses, property etc. a 500$ race drone used improperly could easily cause millions in liability claims, Think drone flyaway into a busy hiway...

The govt information on liability insurance still claims 100k insurance should only cost 15/year. I still dunno where they pulled that number from. :/ I see a big issue with them trying to mandate that insurance when no carrier in canada provides it. But thats how our govt works, make the rules, then let the sharks overcharge to fill the need. :(

As for actual drone insurance, see if the drone is covered under your home insurance, specifically the camera equipment rider, the mavic is a an expensive camera after all. I've heard a few people get coverage this way if its for your drone only.

cheers :)

Reactions: timinator
This is for Third Party Liability not drone damage.

Yes, some companies have your drone already insured with your home insurance or you can add on for a added fee.

I don't know where you're getting the $15/year info from the Gov from, the price should be around $300+ which is ridiculous to me still.

hmm seems people only buy insurance for the coverage of drone damage, the liability insurance mandate the govt wants to put in place (it's not right now) is for covering things you may hit, people, cars, houses, property etc. a 500$ race drone used improperly could easily cause millions in liability claims, Think drone flyaway into a busy hiway...

The govt information on liability insurance still claims 100k insurance should only cost 15/year. I still dunno where they pulled that number from. :/ I see a big issue with them trying to mandate that insurance when no carrier in canada provides it. But thats how our govt works, make the rules, then let the sharks overcharge to fill the need. :(

As for actual drone insurance, see if the drone is covered under your home insurance, specifically the camera equipment rider, the mavic is a an expensive camera after all. I've heard a few people get coverage this way if its for your drone only.

cheers :)

This is for Third Party Liability not drone damage.

Yes, some companies have your drone already insured with your home insurance or you can add on for a added fee.

I don't know where you're getting the $15/year info from the Gov from, the price should be around $300+ which is ridiculous to me still.

"Transport Canada estimates that the cost for this insurance — if you had to buy it separately — will be $15 per year, however MobileSyrup was unable to find an insurance company with drone liability policies for consumers in that price range.

New proposed Canadian drone regulations increase pilot costs, do little for safety

referenced from the govt article here:
Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Unmanned Aircraft Systems)

"The liability insurance industry for recreational UAS operators is not yet mature. However, it may be assumed that the cost of $100,000 of liability insurance for a recreational UAS operator is estimated as twice the group insurance premium for a modellers association. Liability insurance could amount to an estimated $15 per year. Therefore, the total cost for a pilot with a very small UAS is estimated to be $50 for the first year."

which goes along with their 35$ exam

First of all, I find that 100K isn’t enough. If you harm only one person, this won’t be enough, imagine if you cause a major accident on an highway, or ground an helicopter.

I think that 50$/year would be fair for personal used drones, more than that would really be to much.

Well the more you pay the higher the liability coverage as I have attached here. But it still is ridiculous for recreational pilots having to pay so much just for joy flights. It's like the price of 1/4 of my car insurance. :(

First of all, I find that 100K isn’t enough. If you harm only one person, this won’t be enough, imagine if you cause a major accident on an highway, or ground an helicopter.

I think that 50$/year would be fair for personal used drones, more than that would really be to much.

Attachments

• quote.jpg
    quote.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 31
Well the more you pay the higher the liability coverage as I have attached here. But it still is ridiculous for recreational pilots having to pay so much just for joy flights. It's like the price of 1/4 of my car insurance. :(

I agree. I won't pay that much and will have to fly without. May the force be with me!

I don’t run insurance either. To fly within our Ontario regulations, has to be under a certain distance and within sight. So you shouldn’t have issues if you follow them.

Hello
My name is Adrian, I am from Poland and I am geologist. I would like to use a drone for scientific purpose in Nova Scotia.
Could You advice me some company which provide the insurance for commercial purpsose?

I also have liability insurance through Drone Insurance Depot, non-commercial, 100,000 coverage. Total cost, premium, policy, admin was $210

I am relying on DJI Care+ if i manage to destroy the drone itself.

Policy says coverage in Canada and USA only. Not that I can fly in the US...!

Edit: Whoops, I have a mavic mini...sorry, wandered into a different section...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dennis Anghelatos