DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightroom/Photoshop - clean up patchy grass

RonanCork

Reactions
Hey Guys,

I use Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Mainly I use Lightroom and just Photoshop (only recently) to use the lasso tool for content aware assist when removing objects from images.

I've 2 images (see below) that I need to clean up the grass in. It's a driving range so the green mats are fine I just need to clean up the brown patchy sessions on the field and behind the golfer

I'm going to try use the clone / patch tools and content aware to see you I get on

Was thinking about replacing the grass but don't want it look fake

Any thoughts/advice from you guys would be great

1654337782493.png

1654337809899.png

Thanks Ro

Thanks Ro

Use the spot healing brush on the small spots. Use the patch tool for the larger ones. I don't see much wrong with the top photo.

Reactions: RonanCork
Use the spot healing brush on the small spots. Use the patch tool for the larger ones. I don't see much wrong with the top photo.
Thanks. Re the spot healing and patch healing tools - you mean in photoshop yeah rather than in LR?
Thanks Ro

Hey Guys,

I use Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Mainly I use Lightroom and just Photoshop (only recently) to use the lasso tool for content aware assist when removing objects from images.

I've 2 images (see below) that I need to clean up the grass in. It's a driving range so the green mats are fine I just need to clean up the brown patchy sessions on the field and behind the golfer

I'm going to try use the clone / patch tools and content aware to see you I get on

Was thinking about replacing the grass but don't want it look fake

Any thoughts/advice from you guys would be great

View attachment 149335

View attachment 149336

Thanks Ro

Thanks Ro
Ro:

This is an easy one!!! In Adobe Photoshop CC 2022, I used the HEALING BRUSH TOOL to clean up the grass spots. I then opened the image in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) and used the new MASKING TOOL Brush to paint the woods, then opened up the shadows slider. I only did this on the DJI 0845 image. Here are the 4 images. Two un-edited, and two edited. Tell me what you thinbk

Dale
MiamiOriginal-golfer swinging.jpgEdited version.jpgOriginal unedited version 2.jpgEdited Version-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard R
Ro:

This is an easy one!!! In Adobe Photoshop CC 2022, I used the HEALING BRUSH TOOL to clean up the grass spots. I then opened the image in ACF (Adobe Camera Raw) and used the new MASKING TOOLBrush to paint the woods, then opened up the shadows slider. I only did this on the DJI 0845 image. Here are the 4 images. Two un-edited, and two edited. Tell me what you thinbk

Dale
MiamiView attachment 149340View attachment 149341View attachment 149342View attachment 149343

Hi,

That looks great. Thank you very much for taking the time to do that - I really appreciate it. It's great to see the before and after too as I get an exact sense of the improvements. I'm going to check out out those tools now in PS and try reproduce similar to what you've done. I'll let you know how I far, thanks again!

Thanks Ro

Thanks. Re the spot healing and patch healing tools - you mean in photoshop yeah rather than in LR?
Thanks Ro
to Ro and Vic:

So here are the steps I have taken- I use Photoshop more than Lightroom. This is done in Photoshop 2022 with new masking tools. If you don't have this, you should upgrade your Photoshop. See the printed steps on the images. On the 2nd image, open the masking tool first, then open the brush and adjust brush size with right and left brackets on your keyboard. Paintr the woods with red masking, then use the SHADOWS tool of the masking to open the shadows in the woods.

I really hope you guys will adopt this method. The masking tool is one of the most significant tools Adobe has released in a long time and I use it for nearly every image now. I especially use it for HDR (high dynamic range) sunrise and sunset photos to open the foregrounds, which are ALWAYS dark, since the drone sensor is reading the bright light of the sun. For these, I use the LINEAR GRADIENT instead of the brush.
Steps for Image- Step 1-Open in ACR.jpgOpen masking tool then brush.jpgPaint woods with masking brush tool.jpg

to Ro and Vic:

So here are the steps I have taken- I use Photoshop more than Lightroom. This is done in Photoshop 2022 with new masking tools. If you don't have this, you should upgrade your Photoshop. See the printed steps on the images. On the 2nd image, open the masking tool first, then open the brush and adjust brush size with right and left brackets on your keyboard. Paintr the woods with red masking, then use the SHADOWS tool of the masking to open the shadows in the woods.

I really hope you guys will adopt this method. The masking tool is one of the most significant tools Adobe has released in a long time and I use it for nearly every image now. I especially use it for HDR (high dynamic range) sunrise and sunset photos to open the foregrounds, which are ALWAYS dark, since the drone sensor is reading the bright light of the sun. For these, I use the LINEAR GRADIENT instead of the brush.
View attachment 149348View attachment 149349View attachment 149350
HI Dale,
cheers. is the Camera Raw Filter and Masking tool part more-so to bring out the shadows in the woods ? - or did you also use that also to fix the grass. I've been playing with spot healing tool and healing brush just now and my results look similar to yours
Ronan.

HI Dale,
cheers. is the Camera Raw Filter and Masking tool part more-so to bring out the shadows in the woods ? - or did you also use that also to fix the grass. I've been playing with spot healing tool and healing brush just now and my results look similar to yours
Ronan.
Hi Ro:
The Masking tool was used to bring out the shadows in the woods. When I edit an image, I edit the entire image. I know you were just interested in the grass. I am just compulsive. The spot healing brush is the tool I used for the grass. You could also use the Clone stamp tool for the grass but I found the spot healing brush to be better for my taste. Don't hesitate in asking anything.. I'll try to help.

Dale

Reactions: RonanCork
Hi Ro:
The Masking tool was used to bring out the shadows in the woods. When I edit an image, I edit the entire image. I know you were just interested in the grass. I am just compulsive. The spot healing brush is the tool I used for the grass. You could also use the Clone stamp tool for the grass but I found the spot healing brush to be better for my taste. Don't hesitate in asking anything.. I'll try to help.

Dale
Cheers. So I used the spot healing brush and my end result was this. Happy enough with the results it being my first attempt of using it.
Thanks Ro

Attachments

• golfer_1_good.jpg
    golfer_1_good.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 4
Cheers. So I used the spot healing brush and my end result was this. Happy enough with the results it being my first attempt of using it.
Thanks Ro
How did you even get an 8 min file to be accepted here? My max is over 2MB
Now that yours pro wjlhy not try to open the shadows in the woods?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki