DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi and DJI Go 4 on Android Tablet to fly Mavic Pro

Craig K.

Reactions
The drone rookie, but old geezer is back with another question, this time about upgrading/changing from using my Samsung S9 phone to a Samsung tablet for the Mavic Pro. I've put the cart before the horse and already purchased a controller tablet adapter that will handle a tablet up to 10" knowing I'm getting a tablet when I make the decision to pull the trigger. My Samsung S9 smart phone works fine for both Litchi and DJI Go 4 but everything is too small on the screen and confined in the handle holders that make it hard to touch the far edges of the screen. I don't know the up's and down's, in's and out's of swapping to an Android tablet with both DJI Go 4 and Litchi which I am using for "off-line" Waypoint Mission creation on my laptop and will probably be my go to, most used software. Works great. I don't need the most expensive, top of the line, largest or newest tablet and have been seriously looking at the Samsung Tab S3 (2017) after reading favorable reports. Does any tablet older, less impressive or less expensive, "Equally" good with a screen size close to the 9.7" S3 screen make more sense for my use. Some dumb questions I have are: Can I copy DJI Go4 and Litchi from my S9 phone to a new tablet or do I need to pay again for Litchi? Can I keep the software on both the phone and tablet as a fall back strategy or if I don't want the large tablet for a particular flying session. Is it easy to get the software moved to the tablet? Can anyone provide some "Gotchas" or "Suggestions" about my rookie thoughts on making this move from smart phone to tablet so early in my flying experience? I've searched the forums up and down and haven't found anything specific to my questions but have gained a lot of knowledge on many other settings and techniques.

Reactions: mereflyer
You just go to Google Play and download the 2 of them again with your new tab ... as Litchi already is paid for Android it's just go ahead & install it. Then log in to the 2 apps in your tab & everything is good to go again.

You can still have the apps installed on your phone & can use the apps there also if you want. No need to "transfer" apps or uninstall.

Reactions: mereflyer and GregE
You just go to Google Play and download the 2 of them again with your new tab ... as Litchi already is paid for Android it's just go ahead & install it. Then log in to the 2 apps in your tab & everything is good to go again.

You can still have the apps installed on your phone & can use the apps there also if you want. No need to "transfer" apps or uninstall.
When getting ready to install Litchi on my phone last month I read all I could about that and if I remember correctly it said to not download from Google Play but rather purchase from Amazon and download from there which is what I did without any problems. Thanks for your input.

Why would you keep out from Google Play? Pretty convenient with update notifications & download to other Android units if already paid, have Litchi & Go4 on two phones & one Tab simultaneously all Android.

But you can't go to the same Amazon account on your Tab & download again ...

I used a Tab S3 for quite some time and found it to work very well until a while back when Samsung released an update. From there on the performance was never the same and I encountered video lapses during flight which had never happened before. Seems that at times the tablet would struggle to keep up. Other apps slowed down as well especially web surfing. YMMV but I decided to trade it in on an S6 and have been very pleased so far.

Reactions: Craig K.
I used a Tab S3 for quite some time and found it to work very well until a while back when Samsung released an update. From there on the performance was never the same and I encountered video lapses during flight which had never happened before. Seems that at times the tablet would struggle to keep up. Other apps slowed down as well especially web surfing. YMMV but I decided to trade it in on an S6 and have been very pleased so far.
Thanks for the input. Nothing better than getting "first hand" knowledge from people using the questioned technology. Did you try taking the S3 back to the version that worked OK? Is that even possible? rookie question.

i was wondering do any of these render the larger video sizes i have a tab e but 1980 at 59fps is all it will render properly

I was running both the GO4 and Litchi on Samsung Tab 8. The only recommendation, I would give, is to force kill the GO4 after doing your needed prep. Then initiate Litchi. DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE DRONE! This safety precaution would prevent any overlap possibilities within the apps as LITCHI uses the DJI SDK. This is a procedure I have used time and time again when I fly inside unlock areas.

To Craig K., I tried everything I could find on the net to get the S3 working as it 'used to' but nothing seemed to work. You can Google the problem (try "Slow Tab S3" as a search and you'll see what I mean). I finally gave up and used it as trade-in for the S6.

Many others have given you good advice: From the Play store you can have an app on as many devices as you want simultaneously, you don't swap from one to another; you just go back to the Play store, you don't use Go4 & Litchi at the same time; it's one or the other, etc.

Re tablet: I had a Samsung tablet tab A 10 that ran Go4 and Litchi just fine. I have since switched to a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 because the 10" would not run DJI Fly for the Mavic Mini. The difference, besides a slightly smaller screen is the former runs Android 32 bit and the latter 64 bit even though both say they are 64 bit cpu's on the box! The 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab (SM-T290), costs $177 at Costco (Canada). I gave my 10" Tab A to my wife.

I made my own tablet holder from flat aluminum & a pop riveter. And just to get you really excited I've attached another working system that keeps your MC and tablet charged even with the screen on bright.

The drone rookie, but old geezer is back with another question, this time about upgrading/changing from using my Samsung S9 phone to a Samsung tablet for the Mavic Pro. I've put the cart before the horse and already purchased a controller tablet adapter that will handle a tablet up to 10" knowing I'm getting a tablet when I make the decision to pull the trigger. My Samsung S9 smart phone works fine for both Litchi and DJI Go 4 but everything is too small on the screen and confined in the handle holders that make it hard to touch the far edges of the screen. I don't know the up's and down's, in's and out's of swapping to an Android tablet with both DJI Go 4 and Litchi which I am using for "off-line" Waypoint Mission creation on my laptop and will probably be my go to, most used software. Works great. I don't need the most expensive, top of the line, largest or newest tablet and have been seriously looking at the Samsung Tab S3 (2017) after reading favorable reports. Does any tablet older, less impressive or less expensive, "Equally" good with a screen size close to the 9.7" S3 screen make more sense for my use. Some dumb questions I have are: Can I copy DJI Go4 and Litchi from my S9 phone to a new tablet or do I need to pay again for Litchi? Can I keep the software on both the phone and tablet as a fall back strategy or if I don't want the large tablet for a particular flying session. Is it easy to get the software moved to the tablet? Can anyone provide some "Gotchas" or "Suggestions" about my rookie thoughts on making this move from smart phone to tablet so early in my flying experience? I've searched the forums up and down and haven't found anything specific to my questions but have gained a lot of knowledge on many other settings and techniques.

Attachments

• Pro OTG .jpg
    Pro OTG .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23

I Had the same troubles and thoughts as you are Craig. Be reassured the DJI Go4 and Litchi apps can be installed on both phone and tablet, as I have been using that combination for more than a year now without problems on my Samsung Tab A 10
and Android phone.

As others on this thread have mentioned, it is easy and simpler to use google Play to install and use on your phones or tablets at no extra cost.

I, as many others, have found it very difficult to see the tablet screen on any other than overcast days when flying, so I devised my own solution to the problem.

The harness I created from spare bits around my workshop, works really well for me and I highly recommend the idea to all who have this sight problem especially on many bright sunny days we get here in Australia. The design allows me to see controller, drone and Tablet without compromise and transforms the enjoyment and benefits of flying my MP.

The attached image is worth a thousand words, saving me any further writing!!

Attachments

• DSCN1670.JPG
    DSCN1670.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I Had the same troubles and thoughts as you are Craig. Be reassured the DJI Go4 and Litchi apps can be installed on both phone and tablet, as I have been using that combination for more than a year now without problems on my Samsung Tab A 10
and Android phone.

As others on this thread have mentioned, it is easy and simpler to use google Play to install and use on your phones or tablets at no extra cost.

I, as many others, have found it very difficult to see the tablet screen on any other than overcast days when flying, so I devised my own solution to the problem.

The harness I created from spare bits around my workshop, works really well for me and I highly recommend the idea to all who have this sight problem especially on many bright sunny days we get here in Australia. The design allows me to see controller, drone and Tablet without compromise and transforms the enjoyment and benefits of flying my MP.

The attached image is worth a thousand words, saving me any further writing!!

WOW mereflyer. That is quite the rig you created for your flying adventures as Pilot in Command. Is what I see in the controller handle area a "checklist" for you to use? If yes..... great idea. The tablet screen cover looks awesome. Having read lots of reports on different tablets the biggest complaint is the ability to see the screen on bright sunny days. Those who have reported on the Samsung Tab S3 say the screen viewing is the best even on bright days. Thanks for your input and sharing the photo of your rig.

WOW mereflyer. That is quite the rig you created for your flying adventures as Pilot in Command. Is what I see in the controller handle area a "checklist" for you to use? If yes..... great idea. The tablet screen cover looks awesome. Having read lots of reports on different tablets the biggest complaint is the ability to see the screen on bright sunny days. Those who have reported on the Samsung Tab S3 say the screen viewing is the best even on bright days. Thanks for your input and sharing the photo of your rig.
Thanks for your kind comments Craig. Yes you are correct about the checklist, I run through that list before each flight to make sure I have covered all the essentials for safety and peace of mind.
I would not like to fly without this rig as it provides much better control and ability to see where I'm going - Highly recommended!

Reactions: Craig K.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada