DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi, Google Earth and the iPad

Facherty

Reactions
I am aware that the Litchi mission hub promotes the idea of:
a. plan your mission from either your web browser on your Mac/PC _or_ from the Litchi app on your iPhone/android
b. fly your mission from the Litchi app on your iPhone/android
This is what I usually do, and it works well. The thing I like most is checking my mission on Google Earth using Virtual Litchi Mission.

However, when I am holiday, I only have my iPad with me for Litchi planning and Google Earth previewing. Even though the web-based Litchi Mission Hub warns you that it is not designed for use on a tablet, it is easier to plan a mission here than within the Litchi app. This can work:
1583952859806.png

I export the KML 3D Path, and can view it GoogleEarth (Projects:Open)
1583963005412.png
GoogleEarth on the iPad cannot run a virtual Litchi mission (like the main desktop version of GoogleEarth) but it can allow me to check clearances.

The problem is that this does not always work. Often I cannot find where the iPad has saved The KML 3D Path. Sometimes it appears; most times it does not.

Anyone got any answers?

Reactions: ldallara-air2
I am aware that the Litchi mission hub promotes the idea of:
a. plan your mission from either your web browser on your Mac/PC _or_ from the Litchi app on your iPhone/android
b. fly your mission from the Litchi app on your iPhone/android
This is what I usually do, and it works well. The thing I like most is checking my mission on Google Earth using Virtual Litchi Mission.

However, when I am holiday, I only have my iPad with me for Litchi planning and Google Earth previewing. Even though the web-based Litchi Mission Hub warns you that it is not designed for use on a tablet, it is easier to plan a mission here than within the Litchi app. This can work:
View attachment 96393

I export the KML 3D Path, and can view it GoogleEarth (Projects:Open)
View attachment 96403
GoogleEarth on the iPad cannot run a virtual Litchi mission (like the main desktop version of GoogleEarth) but it can allow me to check clearances.

The problem is that this does not always work. Often I cannot find where the iPad has saved The KML 3D Path. Sometimes it appears; most times it does not.

Anyone got any answers?
I get a very light and cheap Notebook as Lenovo IdeaPad 130S for travel, it can use Mission Hub and Google Earth Pro.

Thank you Tai Tony. I too have a light and cheap Lenovo (a "Yoga"), so I replicated my usual steps on it, and got the desired result. But the Lenovo will never be on my travels - the iPad offers too many other advantages!

However, inspired by this, I found I had been looking in the wrong place for the solution: where the iPad stores the exported file.

The problem turned out to be that exporting the .KML file was not working at all if the mission had more than seven waypoints. For a nine waypoint mission that would not export, simply deleting (any) two points resulted in success. This applied to any other of the missions that would open in Google Maps.

This seems a strange failing for the Litchi Mission Hub, but like many other problems with the app, I am not holding my breath for a solution.

Thank you Tai Tony. I too have a light and cheap Lenovo (a "Yoga"), so I replicated my usual steps on it, and got the desired result. But the Lenovo will never be on my travels - the iPad offers too many other advantages!

However, inspired by this, I found I had been looking in the wrong place for the solution: where the iPad stores the exported file.

The problem turned out to be that exporting the .KML file was not working at all if the mission had more than seven waypoints. For a nine waypoint mission that would not export, simply deleting (any) two points resulted in success. This applied to any other of the missions that would open in Google Maps.

This seems a strange failing for the Litchi Mission Hub, but like many other problems with the app, I am not holding my breath for a solution.
TKS, I will try it with my iPad 2018.

I try to use iPad to replace my light laptop, but problem is the edit windows of waypoint, it is not full scale when I use Safari or Chrome. If I want to delete some waypoint in the mission as you said to keep only 7 waypoints, but I can not find the red delete key in top of editor. Any advice ?

BTW: I approve that over 7 points and can not create KML file.

Last edited:
I try to use iPad to replace my light laptop, but problem is the edit windows of waypoint, it is not full scale when I use Safari or Chrome. If I want to delete some waypoint in the mission as you said to keep only 7 waypoints, but I can not find the red delete key in top of editor. Any advice ?

BTW: I approve that over 7 points and can not create KML file.
Thanks for the confirmation of the bizarre 7 waypoint limit on export of web-based tablet Litchi missions to tablet GoogleEarth. Not a dealbreaker, but annoying nonetheless. Litchi seems to be abandoned by its makers, and I cannot find a place to report faults or suggest developments.

With regard to deleting a Waypoint, when you click the waypoint on a web-presentation on a browser, you get a red Delete button in the dialogue box:
1584573093314.png

The same is true when using a web browser (Chrome in this case) on the iPad:
1584573574161.png

The presentation is slightly different on the Litchi app running on an iPad:
1584573751478.png
This time there is just a symbol for the waypoint, with a or a +.

In the second example above (editing using a browser on an iPad Pro 12.7) I could imagine a smaller iPad acting like the iPhone:
IMG_1791.jpg
In this case, no amount of scrolling can reveal the Delete button. So:
1. use the Litchi app on the iPad to edit the mission
2. save it
3. return to a web-browser and export as a KML to get the GoogleEarth preview

Annoying, but possible.

Thanks,
Thanks for the confirmation of the bizarre 7 waypoint limit on export of web-based tablet Litchi missions to tablet GoogleEarth. Not a dealbreaker, but annoying nonetheless. Litchi seems to be abandoned by its makers, and I cannot find a place to report faults or suggest developments.

With regard to deleting a Waypoint, when you click the waypoint on a web-presentation on a browser, you get a red Delete button in the dialogue box:
View attachment 96832

The same is true when using a web browser (Chrome in this case) on the iPad:
View attachment 96833

The presentation is slightly different on the Litchi app running on an iPad:
View attachment 96834
This time there is just a symbol for the waypoint, with a or a +.

In the second example above (editing using a browser on an iPad Pro 12.7) I could imagine a smaller iPad acting like the iPhone:
View attachment 96835
In this case, no amount of scrolling can reveal the Delete button. So:
1. use the Litchi app on the iPad to edit the mission
2. save it
3. return to a web-browser and export as a KML to get the GoogleEarth preview

Annoying, but possible.
I mistake that you are talking about iPad Pro. I appreciate your advice with iPad.
The only one approach such problem to Litchi support is the messenger. It is very slow response but it is only one to contact Litchi support.

Attachments

• 3190AD35-377F-4354-B3C1-AB9CC7D588CB.jpeg
    3190AD35-377F-4354-B3C1-AB9CC7D588CB.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 16
Hi,

I found out that the creation of a kml file is depending on the fact that curves are used or not. If you select straight lines in your flight plan it will always create a kml file. The number of waypoints is then not an issue anymore. I use an iPad Pro 12,9 inch

Reactions: Facherty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000