DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi's new login requirement and a privacy issue

TT3023

Reactions
Litchi on Android is now apparently requiring that a Litchi account be created and that the app be logged in for "license sync" and updates going forward. However, it appears that there is no obvious way to choose to login without also sync'ing your local missions to Litchi's Mission Hub -- a privacy issue in some situations where it is desired or required that missions be restricted to the Litchi phone app device only. Of course one could copy out the missions on the app from Litchi, login, sync, update, logout, and then copy the missions back -- but the undesirability of that is obvious. Is there actually some way to login and sync license/update without syncing missions? If not, there should be. Thanks.

Litchi auto syncs to my AirData account from my Smart Controller and I am fine with that. I don’t understand your security concern. Am I missing something? Of course my SC is NOT my phone nor does it have personal data contacts etc.

There are people who'd like to fly around their property, etc. without being forced to share their location/address with commercial third parties. It's that simple. This is Privacy 101 type stuff.

Also I don't think the US government would like it if a contractor had to share the fight plan to outside sources. Or maybe I am over thinking that.

I was thinking in terms of recreational flyers, but yes, I would assume that there could be common commercial contexts requiring that flight location data not be shared with third parties who don't have a genuine "need to know."

Note that DJI's own app provides the *option* for syncing mission data with their servers -- it does not require it.

Good news! The new beta version of the Android app (which is the one I can check) has added a setting (Sync Local Missions) to enable or disable cloud sync (to the Hub) of missions created on the app -- exactly what I was suggesting above. Thanks very much! Oh, also, the number of waypoints possible has been increased from 99 to -- wait for it -- 10,000.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e