DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Little Red Rock

I love the amazing and desertic looking landscape with the red rocks in acompletly differentely colored lanscape!
I enjoyed to watch your video, thanks for sharing ???
cheers and merry christmas ? Paul
Thanks Jack. This whole area is a large alluvial fan, rocks and debris from the mountains above have filled in the valley exposing only the resistant Aztec sandstone. My guess is the whole valley floor is the red Aztec sandstone and all that is seen now are the peaks that rise above the alluvial fan. Jim

Thanks Jack. This whole area is a large alluvial fan, rocks and debris from the mountains above have filled in the valley exposing only the resistant Aztec sandstone. My guess is the whole valley floor is the red Aztec sandstone and all that is seen now are the peaks that rise above the alluvial fan. Jim
Hi Jim,
thanks for the interesting explanations, it seem to be a very interesting geological region!
Cheers Paul

Cool video as always..Your videos, with Vegas in the distant background, are an example why it's most important to keep the highway in sight until you've reached a safe altitude when leaving any of the three airports in the Las Vegas area at night. You go from brilliant light into total darkness and very high terrain in very sort order.

Merry Christmas
Nice Video
Wife and I are planning a trip to Las Vegas this spring. I'm a Drone/Geocacher and we are looking for neat places to fly.
Hope you can help us out, location with gps coords would be great.
Thanks
Thanks folks. I dont have the GPS coordinates but here are some directions to get to Little Redrock. Take 215 freeway to Charleston and go west on 159 around a mile to Sky Vista Dr and turn right. Road curves to the right after around 2 miles and you will see the construction for homes. All roads are now blocked to Little Redrock. You can drive further up the road and park and hike in (2 mile hike to the rocks, thats what I did). Better plan is to drive to Calico Basin. Its 2 miles further west on 159. Turn right at Calico Basin Road and go to end of road and park. Signs here wil explain the various trails that can be hiked and this is truly an awesome area. Drones are legal here, but I never set up in the parking area, get off the trail and hike into the open desert and you will be fine, or better yet hike to the top of the mountains 1000' above. Another option is Red Rock Conservation area another 2 miles further west on 159, there is a 13 mile loop drive there and it seems to be a favorite place for drones, but although it is legal here as well some folks do complain, so best again to hike out to the open desert so as not to bother hikers and visitors. If you have a small drone like the Mini 2 no one will hear you, but the big drones can be very noisy and distracting to hikers, so I dont reccomend them. The 13 mile loop drive is very nice. Be aware that red Rock does require a fee for entry now as well as reservations in advance.

Beautiful! Loved the way you revealed the landscape by flying in reverse.
Thanks. Most is not actually flying in reverse, way too risky, but editing the clip in Reverse. Much safer and can be more dramatic because things come into view that have not been seen yet so there is the element of surprise.

Reactions: PBDawg
That was my stomping grounds as a kid. I grew up at Alta/Buffalo. In the early 80s we were on the edge of town and I rode my dirt bike right from my house and all over that area all the time. From Lone Mountain and and Kyle canyon in the North to the South side where Mountains Edge is now. This was my playground. Thanks for the video, it was nostalgic for me.

When I first got my mini back in March I parked out off SR160 and hiked up the hills behind Blue Diamond to give it a test run. This whole area around Vegas is a treasure trove of places to shoot from.

That was my stomping grounds as a kid. I grew up at Alta/Buffalo. In the early 80s we were on the edge of town and I rode my dirt bike right from my house and all over that area all the time. From Lone Mountain and and Kyle canyon in the North to the South side where Mountains Edge is now. This was my playground. Thanks for the video, it was nostalgic for me.

When I first got my mini back in March I parked out off SR160 and hiked up the hills behind Blue Diamond to give it a test run. This whole area around Vegas is a treasure trove of places to shoot from.
Enjoyed your video. I have been to that area several times but without a drone and am planning to head over there again soon, for sure a cool area to explore. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme