DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Live Mission Recording" and waypoint-specific camera angles

carteriii

Reactions
I am new to the Mavic 3T and waypoint missions and despite searching here and running some tests myself, I could use some clarification on how/when the waypoint specific gimbal pitch is applied. To the best of my knowledge is there is no documentation on the kinds of details I am asking, and the Mavic 3E/3T user manual (I downloaded v1.4) only gives a superficial introduction to the various features.
I am looking for confirmation of my current understanding and then for those of you with experience (that I clearly don't have) to offer some "best practices". My intent was to use the "Live Mission Recording" to have the drone fly to specific positions AND camera angles, but this does not seem possible without a lot of manual effort.

For context, in doing my own tests, I first learned that when creating a "Live Mission Recording", simply pressing C1 to add a new waypoint does NOT set any yaw or gimbal pitch at the waypoint. For the purpose of inspecting a specific location or building, the C1 waypoint by itself seems to lack a lot of value. Instead, to capture a specific camera angle during "Live Mission Recording", it seems the best practice is to always take a picture which creates a waypoint AND simultaneously creates an action of "Fixed Angle Shot". Unfortunately this still does not set the yaw or gimbal pitch of the waypoint itself.

In fact, the waypoint-specific gimbal pitch cannot even be set until/unless I set the global "Gimbal Control" to "For Each Waypoint" after flying the "Live Mission Recording" in order to enable the waypoint-specific gimbal control.

gimbal-control-for-each-waypoint.jpg

Only now can I set the gimbal pitch for a specific waypoint, as shown in this next screenshot from the controller. In this next image, you will also see the "Fixed Angle Shot" set by taking a picture during "Live Mission Recording", and you see that "Gimbel Pitch" is misspelled for that.

waypoint-gimbal-pitch.jpg

Given all the context & setup that I described above, what I have witnessed when running the waypoint flight is that the drone will gradually change the pitch while flying between the two waypoints from the original waypoint-specified gimbal pitch to the next waypoint's gimbal pitch. If/When a "Fixed Angle Shot" is specified, then drone will first arrive at the specified waypoint (at the specified waypoint-specific gimbal pitch), then the drone will yaw/rotate to the value specified in the "Fixed Angle Shot", and then the drone will pitch to the specified gimbal pitch of the "Fixed Angle Shot". When done, the pitch and then yaw will change back to that of the waypoint-specific settings (as it was when it arrived), and then continue the flight.

If possible, I would like for the drone to arrive at the waypoint already pointing at the yaw angle and gimbal pitch specified by the "Fixed Angle Shot". To do this, do I always need to manually copy that information from the Fixed Angle Shot to the waypoint-specific settings? I was originally thinking that setting a waypoint would also set the yaw & gimbal pitch, but it doesn't work that way. Or can I specify for the drone to smoothly fly to the yaw & gimbal pitch of the first "Fixed Angle Shot"?

Uh oh, as I've typed all this, I'm wondering if I can change the overall "Gimbal Control" to "For Each Waypoint" BEFORE flying the live mission, in which case maybe taking a picture will also set the values for the waypoint??? Clearly I can & will test that, and will report back, but I'm going to go ahead and make this post with the hope that even if I just answered my own question, it will help others.

So to those of you with experience that I clearly do not have, can "Live Mission Recording" be used to specify the yaw angle and gimbal pitch of the waypoint itself such that the drone flies to it smoothly, or do you commonly take a picture in order to capture those values in a "Fixed Angle Shot" and then manually copy the values to the waypoint? Or do you just let the drone fly to the waypoint and THEN rotate/yaw and change to the desired gimbal pitch?

Thanks in advance!

So to those of you with experience that I clearly do not have, can "Live Mission Recording" be used to specify the yaw angle and gimbal pitch of the waypoint itself such that the drone flies to it smoothly, or do you commonly take a picture in order to capture those values in a "Fixed Angle Shot" and then manually copy the values to the waypoint? Or do you just let the drone fly to the waypoint and THEN rotate/yaw and change to the desired gimbal pitch?

Thanks in advance!
I can't necessarily answer your question, but I can commiserate with how frustrating this is.

I've tried to use this slightly differently, and your bug is my feature. I'm used to the old 3dr Solo strategy of saving keypoints, and then hitting play and having the vehicle fly smoothly between them, typically for video shots.

That doesn't seem to be possible on the Mavic.

But my workaround is to capture the keypoints in a live mission as you did, by taking still images. Then I go and manually edit the gimbal angle. In order to have a smooth mission, the photo waypoint must then be deleted. Finally, you can change the flight to continuous, and fly the mission with a smooth gimbal transition between waypoints.

I haven't messed around with aircraft yaw, presumably this is a similar strategy, I really wish it was automatic, but it seems to require annoying manual transfer. Please let us know if you determine otherwise!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas