DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

London pilots

tednol

Reactions
Like many people, I had a Mavic Mini under the Christmas tree this year. I've flown drones for the fun of flying before, but never one with a decent camera. I must say I'm mighty impressed. Enjoyed flying it in Gloucestershire over Christmas but now I'm back in London and eager for more. Are there any informal groups for London flyers who occasionally want to get out of town for some flying?

I know London is far from the ideal place for flying. I've heard talk of the Richmond Flying Field but haven't ventured there yet. Did have some enjoyable time flying in a place called Addington Hills / Shirley Hills near Croydon... it was recommended by a friend who often walks her dog there and mentioned that people are often flying drones there, and I'd highly recommend it.

Like many people, I had a Mavic Mini under the Christmas tree this year. I've flown drones for the fun of flying before, but never one with a decent camera. I must say I'm mighty impressed. Enjoyed flying it in Gloucestershire over Christmas but now I'm back in London and eager for more. Are there any informal groups for London flyers who occasionally want to get out of town for some flying?

I know London is far from the ideal place for flying. I've heard talk of the Richmond Flying Field but haven't ventured there yet. Did have some enjoyable time flying in a place called Addington Hills / Shirley Hills near Croydon... it was recommended by a friend who often walks her dog there and mentioned that people are often flying drones there, and I'd highly recommend it.
Sorry, not local anymore, but flying around London looks a nightmare. I see that the CAA recommend Drone Assist, which is powered by NATS in the UK. I was curious about Croyden, so looked it up. Looks like you have a relatively large free area there.
1578680612687.png

It's the green area at the bottom called Addington where there is what seems to be (by London standards) some great flying opportunities. Weirdly when I Google 'Addington Hills drone' is doesn't seem to be being recommended or suggested anywhere online.

Richmond Park is a good location (at least nearby if you live in London) for practising/configuring your drone/camera, in the end just an open field and a bit boring after a while :)

Last edited:

I will follow this thread as I too am struggling to find places to fly in the south east of the UK. I got my Mavic Mini before xmas and then started to look for legal places to fly locally... contacted no end of authorities and got "the computer says no" response to all. The Richmond park area has been suggested on this forum several times but as is commented it may be ok for test flying but a bit boring. As my main hobby is photography this was not what I had in mind when I bought the mini. Another issue is the winter weather and high winds as many on these forums report fly aways of the mini in even moderate winds. There are several model aircraft clubs that seem to focus on fixed wing RC models but may accept drone owners and they may have meet ups for flying in safe areas but I haven't found one yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura