DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for recommendations for Maui or Honolulu?

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum . :)

I'm going to be in Maui in 2 weeks. Planning to shoot some spots on the Road to Hana just like a video posted in this DJI thread:
Where to fly in Hawaii?

From the threads I've visited and asked people...just basically check that your not in a NFZ and do your best to launch away from people and you should be okay. At least this is my plan of action anyway. My concern is this is May.....thinking Maui, Hawaii in general, must be packed with vacationers right now.

Took my Mavic around Hana about a week ago. Went to Seven Sacred pools, Venus pond, Red Sand beach, and I tried to shoot at Wainapanapa but had to to land my drone because some guy got nuts... In all fairness black sand beach is a state park.
Instagram post by Andre Manuel • May 10, 2017 at 11:55am UTC

I'm about to drive around the head this weekend. Should get some nice shots of Kahakuloa.

I had my first couple of flights at Pe'ahi and then at McGregor point near Ma'alaea last week.

No one around either place really.

Hi All. Just joined over here from the Phantom Pilots forum, as I'm not lugging the phantom to my vacation to Maui and Big Island in a few months, so I ordered a Mavic Air as the travel quad, should be here in a few days.

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried contacting Kapalua airport for notification for flying within their 5 mile zone. I do that with my home airport regularly as my house is about 4.5 miles, and they are always ok with it, particularly as I stay under 120 feet AGL and out of the flight pattern.

Seems like the airport doesn't really have any flights in or out after 5:30PM, and the area I wish to fly (near the hotel - but obviously away from people) is on the FAA guidance maps for 107 authorization at a 200 foot ceiling. I'm not a 107 pilot, just recreational, but am guessing if the FAA map gives some guidance to authorization requests for a 200 foot ceiling, a similar ceiling for recreational use is appropriate, and near the beach, I'm generally below 60 feet away.

Just wondering if anyone had tried this and what experiences that had.

I'll keep an eye on this and other threads for other good locations for flying.

Excited for the new bird, as well as getting to fly it in Hawaii.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato